Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I have any hope?

Default Re: Do I have any hope?

Ok, totally weird and amazing, I have to share. This morning I made Anya a bottle because I was half asleep and couldn't be bothered arguing with her over the SNS. She had half the bottle and started fussing, I thought 'oh well, maybe she's not that hungry', as I tried to get her back to sleep she starts nuzzling me so I thought 'aha, she wants the breast for comfort, to sleep', so I give her the breast but I had just expressed and it was empty, she gets angry there's nothing coming out, then I though 'ok, still hungry' and tried giving her the rest of the bottle, which she would not take as she fussed and cried. So, I think 'well, she wants milk, just not from the bottle' and get half that feed straight into the SNS and guess what? That's exactly what she wanted, the breast over the bottle!!! Is that some sort of miracle? Maybe it's too soon to celebrate but things are looking up (still expressing no more than 50ml during the day though, where's my Motilium???). She is also looking for the breast all the time for comfort. Just thought I should share.

That's wonderful!

Hurray, hurray! I don't think it's too soon to celebrate. Actually, I think it's really really important to notice and celebrate all these achievements along the way! This is a lot of hard work, and each victory is a new victory! Thank you for sharing! We're rooting for you and Anya!

Thanks girls! Will keep you posted.

Just a little update. I am now on week 6 of pumping. I am now getting an average of 65-80ml per session and pumping 6-7 times a day. The SNS was a fluke, little one seemed to happy to be on the breast for a few feeds but after a while she grew fussy again and I ditched the SNS one more time! She gets really impatient with the breast so I decided to let her keep on sucking for comfort which is what she likes and giving her EBM from the bottle as I don't want her to develop a full blown aversion to my breasts. Good news is, she is having more than half her daily feeds of EBM instead of formula and her tummy has settled again, less windy and not crying to poop anymore, so I already consider this a huge progress. Bad news is, I've been a bit enthusiastic with the suction and the pump (Ameda Platinum) hurt my nipples which now are bleeding and extremely sore. I decided to pump for another 3 weeks and I am upping the Domperidone as well from 2 pills 3xday to 3 pills 3xday. Hopefully that will increase my supply just enough to make it worth 'arguing' with her to take the breast instead of the bottle. I don't want to go through the drama unless I am really sure I have enough milk stored for her. If my supply hasn't just about doubled at the end of the next 3 weeks I will have to throw in the towel, go back to the formula and count my blessings because at least I was able to offer her breastmilk up to the age of 3 months, which is more than some babies in our situation have.
    I could offer the breast before the bottle BUT it takes forever to feed her this way and I have 3 other kids so it's not possible, so I offer the breast after the bottle and she sleeps sucking on the breast (very shallow, just for comfort) and this is the only time she wants them, or when she is upset or crying. I guess I just take what I can get
    Just thought I should update. I am still optimistic as I my supply is still increasing. I will come back and update at the end of 3 weeks.

Ok, I got to the end of the 3 weeks and this is the outcome, I give up! I got to my full supply but she just doesn't want to nurse at the breast and even the comfort suckling is gone now because I tried so hard, did everything I could, now she won't even latch. I'm disappointed as I did all the hard work to get my supply up again and I was producing 120-180ml per session, 6 times a day, more than enough to feed her, but she won't have any of it from the breast, don't get me wrong, she loves BM and frowns at formula, but it has to come from the bottle. I decided that I am done with pumping, she is almost 4 months old and the bright side is that she had the benefits of BM 9 weeks longer than she would have (when I stopped at 6 weeks then re-started on week 8), she's been having BM all this time with a minimum formula supplementation so I guess I will have to count my blessings. I am giving her her last BM bottle this evening and a bit sad, but I have to get into my head there's more to life than feeding her and use all that pump time to spend with my other children who need me too. I've been supplementing with an organic formula that agrees with her tummy, so it gives me some peace of mind! Just want to thank you for your support and help. x

Mama, you have made the effort that you committed to making, and now are making the decision that you know to be best for your family. For that you should feel proud and content. Every bit of breast milk and nursing time that your beautiful baby received was meaningful and loving, and I know that she will continue to be fed with love and care.

If you are stopping pumping cold-turkey, I hope you'll take steps to care for yourself, to help prevent painful engorgement and potential mastitis. Best of luck, mama!

with Erin.in.middletown. Especially about the weaning process- you want to slowly wind down instead of stopping cold turkey.

Thanks girls. I decreased number of pumping 1 per day and haven't pumped for 4 days now. Had some engorgement and lots of leaking but getting better. When it gets a bit uncomfortable I hand squeeze 40ml out of them and it feels better, and Anya has a little snack Thanks again for all your help.