Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 'Following a letdown' when pumping?

Default 'Following a letdown' when pumping?

I've heard of 'following a letdown' when using a pump, using the speed and suction controls to increase milk extraction ... I have the Ameda Purely Yours machine-is this something that is possible to help the milk flow while pumping? Currently, one it starts dropping it stops after a few seconds.

Default Re: 'Following a letdown' when pumping?

I have a Purely Yours and I've never changed the settings after a letdown. I actually pump with it on top speed and top suction, because I seemed to need it. With the Medela pumps there's a letdown button and everything is nice and automatic -- you just turn it up or down, which increased both speed and suction. But for me it's too much of a pain to mess with the knobs. My IBCLC told me I should have low suction, high speed until a letdown, and then decrease the speed and increase the suction after one. But it never seems right to me unless both are up all the way. I'm not sure of any problems that could arise from doing it that way -- I get a letdown this way.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Experiment to see what seems to work best for you.

The pump manufacturers seem to think that minimal suction and fast tempo are the way to get a let down and then slower tempo with more suction to extract milk.

For me, I have to use minimal suction no matter what and a fast tempo the whole time would probably work better for me but with the medela PISA, that would require turning it off and back on every two minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tclynx View Post
    For me, I have to use minimal suction no matter what and a fast tempo the whole time would probably work better for me but with the medela PISA, that would require turning it off and back on every two minutes.
    You know there is a let-down button on the PISA, right? It is the one button on the front and switches between let-down mode and regular mode. It is still hitting a button every 2 minutes, but better than turning the machine on and off.

Sorry, duplicate post.
    Last edited by @llli*ngs215; September 22nd, 2014 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ngs215 View Post
    You know there is a let-down button on the PISA, right? It is the one button on the front and switches between let-down mode and regular mode. It is still hitting a button every 2 minutes, but better than turning the machine on and off.
    The button on mine only seems to let me switch from let down to extraction early if I want but it doesn't seem to switch from extraction back to let down, hence why I say turn the machine off and back on.

I suppose that was one thing I liked about the OLD PIS is that you could set the tempo independently of the suction. It didn't have the automatic let down feature but it seems to me only some people find that helpful.

The button on mine only seems to let me switch from let down to extraction early if I want but it doesn't seem to switch from extraction back to let down, hence why I say turn the machine off and back on.

I suppose that was one thing I liked about the OLD PIS is that you could set the tempo independently of the suction. It didn't have the automatic let down feature but it seems to me only some people find that helpful.
    I like the automatic let down feature on the PISA. That is my only complaint about my Hygeia, that the highest speed isn't as good at letdown as the Medela PISA letdown button. That is strange that your letdown button only goes one way. I know a lot of the pump manufacturers have slightly less fancy models they distribute through insurance versus retail, but that doesn't seem like a feature that would save them any money to remove.

But back to the OP, the idea of the letdown button, or adjusting the setting for letdown versus milk extract, is to mimic a baby suckle. Notice your baby (probably) starts with light fast sucking to stimulate, then when the milk starts flowing changes to long deep sucking to remove the milk. The goal with pumping this way is to be as close to natural suction as possible for optimal milk extraction. It is more of an art than a science. Play with the dials and see where it takes you.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

mine might be an early PISA, got it through wic, probably from before they did away with the bag for the insurance models, perhaps they changed the function of the button after getting comments.

mine might be an early PISA
    Mine is from 2012, and the button lets me switch both ways. I find it quite useful. If I notice my letdown has started, I switch to regular mode early because I think that is more efficient. And then after the milk stops flowing, I will go back for a second letdown.