Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping at work for an almost 1 yo

Default Pumping at work for an almost 1 yo

My 11 month old baby girl is coming up on a year and I wonder how often I should be pumping at work. I work three 12 hour shifts and have recently gone down to pumping 4 times per day. I bring home about 12-14 ounces depending on the day. When I'm home with her she nurses on demand- sometimes every 3 hrs, other times btw 4-5 hrs. She still wakes up once during the night.

When I told my pediatrician this she was surprised and told me I could decrease how often I nurse to 3 times total per day. My daughter also loves to eat solids, we give her three meals a day.

Do I just continue to pump every 4 hrs while I'm at work or should I decrease as she turns a year?

Thank you!

Default Re: Pumping at work for an almost 1 yo

Ugh, if only we could rewind the tape, and have your pediatrician say "Wow, you have almost made it to a year! What an awesome achievement. How do you feel about continuing to pump after a year? Some moms pump-wean at around 12 months, some continue to pump, and I would love to help you achieve whichever goal makes sense to you," instead! She would have gained extra credit- in my book anyway- if she had congratulated you on nursing frequently, and had encouraged you to continue nursing on demand until a minimum of 12 months.

What would you like to do, mama? If you want to pump wean, 12 months is a good time to start the process. But you do not have to pump wean at a year, and if your child is still heavily reliant on your milk, I would encourage you not to pump wean until her intake of solids and especially dairy products gives you confidence that her nutritional needs will be met even without breastmilk.

There's no magic number of feedings that you can or should have at this age. Moms who are eager to hasten the weaning process might start actively cutting out feedings after 12 months. Moms who are enjoying nursing may continue to offer the breast many times a day.

You are doing Awesome!!!!!
    Ignore the Ped on this one, keep doing what you feel is right.
    As to pumping at work, many moms are eager to pump wean but no reason that you "should" pump wean or reduce your baby's nursing sessions before a year unless you are actively trying to wean.

I'm in no hurry to wean and luckily I have a great private area to pump while I'm at work. I just wasn't sure if I needed to pump every 4 hours after she's a year old- but I think I'll just continue and see how it all goes. My plan was always to breastfeed for as long as I could- no pediatrician was going to deter me otherwise. I work in a hospital on labor and delivery so there's lots of great support.

I'm assuming that all babies are supposed to start with whole milk dairy at a year- that our milk becomes secondary at that point? Do people start off with lactose free whole milk or just regular whole milk? It seems like so many people I know have babies who they say can't tolerate the milk proteins.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamaofthree3 View Post
    I'm assuming that all babies are supposed to start with whole milk dairy at a year- that our milk becomes secondary at that point? Do people start off with lactose free whole milk or just regular whole milk? It seems like so many people I know have babies who they say can't tolerate the milk proteins.
    Well the guideline is that babies are NOT supposed to get non-human animal milk before a year because the proteins are not appropriate for most babies. The guideline being to try to protect babies from being given animal milk as a replacement for breastmilk or formula since there are too many medical issues for most infants getting animal milk too young.
    Animal milk protein allergies are different from lactose intolerance, most lactose intolerance tends to appear later in life and it is rather rare in small children who are still supposed to drink milk. And in races from cultures that tend to still drink lots of milk into adulthood, lactose intolerance is rare even in adults but in people from cultures where adults don't drink milk, lactose intolerance is very common.
    I wouldn't worry about lactose unless you see a problem when you introduce whole cow milk. And you probably need not push the cow milk that much if you are able to provide plenty of milk, you can do it as a gradual process, the less she fills up on whole cow milk the more she is likely to keep nursing but once you see how she does with cow milk, that will let you decide how much you will need to keep sending your milk to daycare with her.

Keep up the good work! I pumped until my dd was 18 months old. I became a sahm after that. I pumped a little less frequently after a year, but always felt good about leaving my milk when I couldn't be there. I responded well to the pump (except a few hiccups here and there I.e., 9 month slump etc) overall and increased pumping frequency as needed. My goal was to have enough of my milk there for her that it was always available when asked for. I was lucky that my childcare provider fed on demand and my dd was good at communicating. We didn't give whole milk until closer to 2 years. I think the guideline is as long as the lo is nursing or getting breastmilk at least 4 times per day their calcium/dairy needs are met. Fact check me on that though. We also did some cheese for a snack plus those leafy greens.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamaofthree3 View Post
    I'm assuming that all babies are supposed to start with whole milk dairy at a year- that our milk becomes secondary at that point?
    Introducing animal milk is a choice, not a necessity. If you continue to nurse frequently, there's actually no need to offer animal milk at all.

Do people start off with lactose free whole milk or just regular whole milk? It seems like so many people I know have babies who they say can't tolerate the milk proteins.
    Lactose is a sugar, not a protein. People who have problems with dairy proteins may be perfectly equipped to digest lactose, and people who are lactose intolerant may be perfectly equipped to digest dairy proteins. Production of lactase, the enzyme that digests lactose, actually peaks in infancy and is usually still high in the toddler years, so there's no need to offer lactose-free milk unless your child seems to have a problem with regular whole milk.

Don't be too shocked if your LO isn't that interested in animal milk. A lot of kids just don't like it. You can still offer animal dairy, though, in the form of cheese or yogurt.

Thanks everyone for your advice- sorry it took me so long to say thank you!