Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: drastically reduced milk supply

Default drastically reduced milk supply

I am breastfeeding my son who is 1month5weeks old. I am experiencing a sudden decrease in supply. My breast are not full anymore. After delivery i had bleeding for 21days and in the next 12days my mensus returned. I started bleeding again after 10days,bleeding is very minimal though. The second time when my mensus started, from the same day iam experiencing drastically reduced milk supply. Earlier i was so full that i used small towels to sock the milk that would leak during feeds. Now i have to give my son formula as he is feeling hungry even after feeding.
    Is it normal to bleed like this? Y is milk reduced? What are the reasons for this?

Default Re: drastically reduced milk supply

I don't think so.

See the Dr.
    Did you start any hormonal birth control at 6 weeks pp?
    Make sure there isn't any retained placenta?

Bleeding (lochia) after child birth is really normal. I know there's a specific date range that bleeding is understood as not necessarily a sign of returned menses/fertility, that I've read about when researching lactational Amenorrhea, but I'm not able to recall with certainty (does this ring a bell to anyone else? Is it 60 days pp?). Are you sure this has been the return of your period? Have you been to your postpartum OB visit yet, and if so, did you discuss it with them? I would say, bleeding is not something to mess around with, and if it were me, I'd rather risk hearing them so, "I've checked you out, and you're doing fine!" than risk having something super serious unaddressed.

If indeed something is going on that is causing abnormal bleeding, I would think that same something could also impact milk supply. However, not feeling full or engorged, and not leaking anymore, is in itself not something that indicates insufficient supply. When your milk supply is established, your body gets really good at making just the right amount for your wee one. You say that you've been supplementing; for how long have you been and how much supplement? What were the things you observed in baby that caused you to believe baby wasn't getting enough from you?

I am confused. Is baby 5 weeks old? Or over two months?

I agree with both pp. Lochia can certainly last 4 to 6 weeks. It can also stop and start again. but if the bleeding you are experiencing is heavy or bright red or for any other reason feels wrong to you, see your doctor immediately.

If you are truly ovulating again, then that may effect your milk production but only very slightly and temporarily. If you indeed are having menstrual cycles this early, I would be more concerned that perhaps your baby is nursing too infrequently-this would lead to low production AND early return of fertility. Is baby nursing at least 8 to 10 times in 24 hours and gaining normally?

Many moms incorrectly think they have low production based on perfectly normal differences in how the breasts feel and how baby behaves as time goes on. For example, breasts feeling softer than before and baby wishing to nurse more than before are NOT reliable signs of low milk production. Supplementing when it is not necessary or supplementing more than is necessary is going to harm milk production. Please see this article for more, read the first part carefully. http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; September 17th, 2014 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maddieb View Post
    Many moms incorrectly think they have low production based on perfectly normal differences in how the breasts feel and how baby behaves as time goes on. For example, breasts feeling softer than before and baby wishing to nurse more than before are NOT reliable signs of low milk production. Supplementing when it is not necessary or supplementing more than is necessary is going to harm milk production. Please see this article for more, read the first part carefully. http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/

I tried not to worry when the milk I pumped at work decreased and still decreasing (I pump every 3 hours). I took Fenugreek and some lactation cookies but they didn't help at all. I nurse my baby when I get home, I also eat well and take lots of fluid but it seems like nothing is working. Before I want to build a freezer stash but it looks like it's not going to happen. Now I just need is to pump enough milk to feed Lukas when I'm at work. I am starting to worry that i cannot sustain the supply if my milk continue to decrease. Any advice?

You may find it better to start a new post jray5326 as it may not get answered properly here! Have you done any pump maintenance recently? Checked flanges still fit?

If you want a stash have you thought about adding pump sessions when at home as well as nursing?