Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spitting up!!

Default Spitting up!!

My 1 month lately has been spitting up. She is EBF, Their has been no change in my diet. Is it thats she's over eating?!

Default Re: Spitting up!!

Does your little one seem in pain or discomfort during or surrounding the spitting up? If not, I believe that spitting up is really normal and not to worry about. My little one is alms of seven months old has been spitting up from the start, though it decreased in amount and frequency around three months.

"First of all, in posting this, I presume that the baby is gaining weight well and is generally a happy baby. If that’s the case, spitting up and aspirating are not a bad thing. In fact, probably they are a good thing. Breastmilk is full of immune factors (not just antibodies, but dozens of others as well that all interact) that protect the baby from invasion by bacteria and other microorganisms (fungi, viruses etc) by lining the baby’s mucous membranes (the linings of the gut, respiratory tract and elsewhere). A baby who spits up has double protection, when the baby drinks the milk and it goes to the stomach and then when he spits it up. I frequently use this example of how breastfeeding is so different from formula and bottle feeding. Spitting up formula, if all else is going well, is probably not bad. Spitting up breastmilk, if all else is going well, is probably good."

Dr. Jack Newman, found here:

https://m.facebook.com/LLLAndover/posts/571889979565552

ohh okay, no discomfort before or after spitting up. Actually she smiles. Thanks!! I was getting a little worried.

spit up is generally considered a laundry issue provided weight gain is fine and baby not in pain.

My kids were both big spitter-uppers. The worst problem I had with them was spit-up getting stuck in their neck creases and festering in there. So if your LO is a big spitter, swab out those neck folds once a day, or risk stinky neck cheese!