Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: '6 Months Old Now, you can do it too!'

Default Re: '6 Months Old Now, you can do it too!'

Do you use baby wipes? They contain toxic chemicals, that could be the cause. (if you aren't familiar about the toxins, I encourage you to read about what is in our self care products) We have only used cotton squares and water since day one and haven't had a rash yet. And air that booty out a few mins a couple times a day. Oh also, poops can irritate the skin that look rashy for a day or two. We use pampers baby dry. For all the toxin free stuff we do I allow a commerical diaper....

I give prune and pears to balance the more constipating food, but I think as baby aged it has gotten easier for her to poop. I suggest when you do give a protein or carb give it with a lot of veg and follow up with some fruit after. I agree melon helps too. basically, the watery fruits and veggies are good to balance with. green and yellow squashes.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*usafreat View Post
    Do you use baby wipes? They contain toxic chemicals, that could be the cause. (if you aren't familiar about the toxins, I encourage you to read about what is in our self care products) We have only used cotton squares and water since day one and haven't had a rash yet. And air that booty out a few mins a couple times a day. Oh also, poops can irritate the skin that look rashy for a day or two. We use pampers baby dry. For all the toxin free stuff we do I allow a commerical diaper....
    around the time the first rash started I had used some of my flushable wet wipes as we ran out of the pampers sensitive wipes. The rash went away while I continued using the sensitive wipes after re-stocking.

I've never quite figured out how to manage the logistics of wetting multiple cloths to deal with a real messy situation at the changing table since there is no sink in reach and a container of water in reach of the changing station wouldn't remain full past the first change I fear, my LO may be small but he is strong and highly developed in the motor skills department for his age (read almost nothing on changing station is safe from grab, kick or sweep/roll.)

I give prune and pears to balance the more constipating food, but I think as baby aged it has gotten easier for her to poop. I suggest when you do give a protein or carb give it with a lot of veg and follow up with some fruit after. I agree melon helps too. basically, the watery fruits and veggies are good to balance with. green and yellow squashes.
    I've just given him some yellow squash tonight, great way to add moisture to the meal, he seemed to like it. Was good since the chicken was a bit dry.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to cook ahead and freeze single meals for us to eat during the week because I'm finding it tricky to fix dinner, do the chores and nurse all at basically the same time without putting baby down for more than a few minutes that time of day. In the mornings he is usually happy to spend some time in the saucer or one of the activity filled baby cages but after about 2 or 3 he better be sound asleep if put down more than momentarily. I wind up making dinner to him fussing and crying and everything either drys out or gets cold while we nurse right before dinner. When DH is home he cooks which makes things so much easier but he is working out of town most of this month and only home a day here and a week there between jobs.

So I'm in search of good low/no sodium BLW appropriate cook ahead or slow cooker meals that are easy to freeze and re-heat. We are definitely carnivores.

We now use 'cheeky wipes' which are basically terry cotton squares that come in a kit with a tub to keep them in and moist at home and a mini wet bag for out and about. Honestly tho any container that is the right size to hold a stack of reusable wipes with a bit of water and a drop of essential oil. (Or cooled chamomile tea is supposed to be good instead of water for rash) would work. It just needs to be waterproof with the lid on to prevent accidents.

Reusable diaper wise I always use non bio detergent and the smallest amount to try and avoid irritation. You can always do an extra rinse if you are worried about detergent too!

hum, that product doesn't seem to be available here, but seeing as the sensitive wipes don't seem to be causing an issue currently, I've got other things taking my attention first.

Ahh i love this suggestion thank you so much ...was wondering what wed do when wanted to move on from cotton squares. thank you x a million

AH Finally we have some cooler weather here. Will make it much easier to get outside with baby and do some walking.

DS is crawling like crazy now. I turn my back momentarily and he is playing in the dogs water dish!

He is eating pretty well at dinner but I'm also seeing some harder dryer formed poops so I've been limiting or not even giving any BRAT foods or other grains/cereals/breads and trying to push the P foods but I'm fearing that isn't enough. I don't really want to give much juice or water yet but prune juice might be needed. Otherwise miralax I guess? He gets very distressed when he poops and I'm worried that he may already be starting to withhold and make it worse. Time for another call to the Dr I guess.

This past week's weight gain was much less impressive than the week before so I guess they balance out. Was only up to 15 lb 13.3 oz yesterday morning. I had expected to hit 16 lb the way the previous week had gone but we did have two nights where he threw up dinner so that can slow things down.
    Last edited by @llli*tclynx; October 5th, 2014 at 07:53 PM.

How normal or abnormal is copious sweating while nursing. Baby not me.

He often sweats a puddle especially in bed we wind up with a really wet spot under his head to the point that I've been purring burp rags or cloth nappies down.
    It isn't every time he nurses but tends to happen when he falls to sleep nursing or when nursing very intently when milk is flowing very strong.
    First time I ever experienced him breaking out in a sweat while nursing was at the acupuncturists office after my treatment.
    It happens regularly now perhaps a few times a day.

Searching for ideas of how to keep DS from getting to the dog dish and water bowl.
    I'm trying to figure out if there are options besides putting those in an inaccessible location since where they are located now seem to be what has evolved over the past two years.
    The Dog has been fed on demand (always has dry food available) and I don't really want to change that.
    But now that DS is crawling, he tends to head straight for the dog dish and I have to either pick him up or put up the dog dish (which I then need to remember to put back down.)
    I know eventually he is going to manage to eat some dog food but at this point I fear it is way too much of a choking hazard so I need to keep him out of it.
    I suppose if I get a spill proof enough water dish and keep it really clean and fresh that playing in the water isn't going to hurt other than having to dry and change cloths more often.
    So are there any creative tips anyone can help me with?

http://www.homemademommy.net/2013/12...ted-foods.html
    Could you incorporate more fermented foods into your family's diet? That may help with constipation. Hope you've found some good crock pot recipes to help with the dinner chaos.
    We're still not quite crawling here but he was trying to practice in his sleep last night so I know we are close! I really never figured out how to keep my oldest out of the dog dishes. He's eaten way more dog food than any kid should. Thankfully, our dog only eats once a day. We kept a towel under the water to absorb spills and changed it daily (or more when necessary).
    We're experimenting a bit with elimination communication. Neither dh or I like cleaning poopy cloth diapers so I've been catching lo at the first signs of a movement and taking him to the toilet. He really likes it! About 75% of his poop for the last two months has been on the potty!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zaynethepain View Post
    http://www.homemademommy.net/2013/12...ted-foods.html
    Could you incorporate more fermented foods into your family's diet? That may help with constipation. Hope you've found some good crock pot recipes to help with the dinner chaos.
    I think DS has figured out how to effectively eat peach/nectarine and I think maybe that has helped soften things a little. Will see tomorrow since he ate a huge amount tonight. He has actually pooped daily the past three days. He has gotten both melon and either peach or nectarine each day.

We're still not quite crawling here but he was trying to practice in his sleep last night so I know we are close! I really never figured out how to keep my oldest out of the dog dishes. He's eaten way more dog food than any kid should. Thankfully, our dog only eats once a day. We kept a towel under the water to absorb spills and changed it daily (or more when necessary).
    I think I may just need to start pulling out a different object to put down on the floor with him daily since when he is interested in something new it will occupy him for almost long enough for me to get dishes done at a stretch. I do have more child proofing I need to do now though.

We're experimenting a bit with elimination communication. Neither dh or I like cleaning poopy cloth diapers so I've been catching lo at the first signs of a movement and taking him to the toilet. He really likes it! About 75% of his poop for the last two months has been on the potty!
    I may need to start that. He does really like to go with his diaper off. Past two days he started pooping while standing during diaper free time and I was able to grab a wipe and catch.