Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: '6 Months Old Now, you can do it too!'

Default Re: '6 Months Old Now, you can do it too!'

11 months means 1 more month, and then you can relax and introduce whole milk, congrats! As much as I support breastfeeding, I can't wait to stop pumping at work after baby turns 1.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hayashi View Post
    11 months means 1 more month, and then you can relax and introduce whole milk, congrats! As much as I support breastfeeding, I can't wait to stop pumping at work after baby turns 1.
    I said the same thing but turns out I didn't stop pumping until mid-13 months. I still nursed a lot so didn't really have to give milk until recently when I began to gradually wean.
    Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

Well we are less than a week till the 1st Birthday. DS has done fine with small amounts of cheese and yogurt and I've been consuming milk and milk protein pretty much all along so I really have no worries that he is going to have any problems with milk. However, I have no intention at this point of pushing weaning at all until he is 2. I will introduce whole milk at meals but I'm NOT gonna try to replace breastfeeding with milk and I think I'm gonna have cow milk be drunk from an open cup instead of the sippy or straw cups. I have the Diody cups and he can drink from them though he does like to sling them too.
    Anyway, still on the Domperidone with a 70 mg per day dosage and I'm gonna wait till after his one year check up before I make any decisions about when next I might consider lowering the dosage again.
    DS was 21 lb 2 oz this morning when I weighed him.
    He does have a tendency to constipation even when I push prunes and prune juice.

One thing I am trying to figure out.
    How the heck am I going to get much work done this summer when Grandma and Great Aunt (my baby sitters this past winter) go back North???? I'm basically working from home but it is a farm so it isn't like I can let him play on the floor while I'm working at the desk or anything.
    So, When I'm harvesting and packaging produce for market, what do I do with him? He is totally NOT happy being in any sort of baby cage unless you get in it with him. I can wear him a little bit but he is getting heavy and doesn't like it if I have to bend over while wearing him so it doesn't really work to wear him for the whole process.

Any creative Ideas? Most of the packaging operation takes place in a barn space under a roof but with a dirt/old carpet floor but I have to go in/out frequently when actually picking the produce though the lettuce actually gets brought in a bunch at a time and we are in the barn doing the actual picking out of the rafts. (Doing the lettuce is the only operation that I think perhaps I could wear DS the whole time if I have an assistant to bring the rafts in.) I have worn DS while picking some other things but it was really hard on the back and he didn't like it that much except for when picking snow or snap peas (he likes eating those.)

I have May through October so at least 5 months when I will not have the easy access to baby sitters. It has been great this winter because I get up and nurse/have breakfast and my Aunt or Mom come over to watch DS while I go get the first part of harvest done and I come in to nurse then go back out to finish that mornings work then I come in to nurse and he takes his morning nap. I'm not sure where to find such flexible child care that doesn't cost an arm and a leg when I'm not earning enough to afford it.

hi tclynx!

what about a mothers helper? a kid you hire for less than a sitter who is not left alone with the baby so much as watches and plays with baby while you are in the vicinity. Any families around you that could ask? Homeschoolers maybe for the times kids are mostly in school?

when wearing have you tried a baby backpack? I am no farmer but I did climb my apricot tree to 'harvest' the fruit with my one year old on my back the day I got my ergo baby backpack.

I have the ergo 360 that I occasionally wear on my back, mostly on front though.
    But either way, he fusses when I have to bend much.
    So far I really don't know many families with kids in our neighborhood. We know some of the teenage boys we have had help out around the farm some but so far none of them would be appropriate. I don't know of any home school families around here (my part of the neighborhood is kinda the HOOD in our area) and even if I do, not sure their parents would let them come over here, but maybe I can find some through the farm co-op. (They once offered to find me volunteers or helpers for the farm but so far no one seem to want to drive out here early in the morning.) Perhaps some of the volunteer types would have kids willing to hang out with a toddler.

I'll probably try setting up the second Highchair out near the packaging area to see if he will sit and play some while watching us work. Not sure if it will work out there but it does work to let him play with an old deck of cards in his chair while we play cards at the table so maybe worth a try.

Well DS is 12 months old as of this past Thursday. I guess it's time to start another thread.

Congratulations!

Just an update, check out my signature for more links to more of the threads in the story......
    But DS is now 14 months old and doing great.
    We struggled through months of poor weight gain and problems with milk supply until I finally got my hands on a supply of domperidone around 5 months and breastfeeding and weight gain have been great since 6 months.
    I fully intend to continue on to extended breastfeeding, the early months were so tough, I need the reward.
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...months-old-now