Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: '6 Months Old Now, you can do it too!'

Default '6 Months Old Now, you can do it too!'

Ok DS is now 6 months old and we have been through quite the odessy.
    I'm providing links to the first two threads for those who want to read the whole story.

I started posting here when he was 10 days old and I was desperate.
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...te-milk-supply

And things continued even after reaching 3 months and I started a new thread
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...upply-struggle

They are both LONG threads.

Let me see if I can boil it way down.
    Older mom Age 40, first pregnancy
    Easy pregnancy (I didn't even know I was for sure pregnant till about the end of the first trimester.)
    Natural Birth in hospital (little bit long, some tearing/blood loss but no major interventions.)
    Big baby at birth March 12, 2014, 8 lb 14.5 oz 21.5 inches long
    Lost a lot of weight, lowest known 7 lb 11 oz at 5 days, started supplementing with lactation aid. (doctor never questioned milk transfer, never considered tongue tie etc.) (apparently he didn't believe that tongue/lip ties could affect breastfeeding, he seemed to believe I was just being too high strung.)

I went through all sorts of issues trying to bring my milk supply up (I just don't respond very well to even very good pumps) but even when I got my milk supply up against all odds, baby still wasn't gaining enough weight.
    I finally got tongue/lip tie corrected at 8 weeks but wasn't able to get any physical therapy for him till 3 months at which point Dr's office was expecting me to "MAKE HIM GAIN 2 OZ per day or they would want to intervene."

I picked out another doctor. That office saw him at 4 months but thought he wasn't gaining enough (had only been gaining 3.5 oz per week) and said I needed to bottle feed him formula as much as I could make him take after each breastfeeding session in order to make him gain at least 1 oz per day. Started searching for another doctor (he had been following the growth curve between the 5th and 10th centile fairly well ever since the 3 month check.)

No Formula needed since 3 months 3 weeks (July 4)
    I started taking Domperidone just after 4 1/2 months or so since just fenugreek and pumping were not really cutting it for my supply.

Managed to basically cut out supplements at 5 months +1 week though he has gotten a little bit by bottle when daddy was home. I've still only had a few days here and there without pumping so I don't really feel that I've gotten to JUST EBF for any appreciable time.

We started baby led weaning (baby led solids) about a week ago.
    Found a new Dr for his 6 month appointment who thinks he is doing fine weight wise according to the tracking I've done at home with the digital baby scale I got a couple months ago. And his development seems to be ahead of the "average"

I've become something of a breastfeeding advocate in this whole process and intend to do extended breastfeeding with the baby led weaning.
    We co-sleep and baby wear.

for new moms having issues, here is a thread I have tried to include some milk transfer help resources
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ransfer-Issues

I highly recommend some books now.
    Making More Milk
    Balancing Breast and Bottle
    My Child Won't Eat
    Baby Led Weaning
    and
    Kiss Me

Default Re: '6 Months Old Now, you can do it too!'

Ok.
    Have not supplemented at all this past week. Sat Sept 6th was the last time I gave him any supplemented Expressed breast milk and that was only about 1.4 oz.

I was pumping some this past week but not very many times in a day and didn't pump the last few days.

Baby is NOT tending to drain me much anymore, he seems to prefer to have small meals often as far as I can figure out. So at this point I'm not really sure how much pumping I should really be doing anymore. Domperidone seems to have been more effective than pumping alone or with herbs ever was at improving my supply. I've actually caught myself leaking from the better producing breast probably a couple times daily this past week. A few weeks ago I think I actually had a clogged pore and this past week I may have had a clogged duct, still feel a little bruised under the arm of that better producing side.

At what point do I switch to only pumping once a day to store up a little stash instead of pumping often for supply purposes? I suppose I've sort of already switched over but looking for a little confirmation I guess.

I guess stop pumping to improve supply when you feel your supply is ok... I'm not sure there is any hard and fast rule on it!

(P.S from the last thread; store kirkland peanut butter upside down, it helps a lot with the oilyness as its impossible to mix the whole jar!)

Thanks for the tip on the Peanut butter!
    I found that putting it in the fridge helps keep it thick enough to be able to get out of the jar and spread.

DH was griping at me yesterday for having alarms going off all the time so I turned most of them off. Well, I need to add the middle of the night alarm back in cause DS slept through without latching on and nursing and I woke up at 4 am rock hard and leaking.
    My storage capacity isn't big enough for me to let him do that to me.

Dang some nights he is nursing almost all night long in his sleep and last night he was sleepy. Maybe he would have nursed had I woke up to try to get him to latch on but he didn't do it on his own last night the way he often does.

It is so odd to me to deal with DS only nursing for a very short time now when he is wide awake.

When he wants to nap he will still often latch on and comfort nurse/sleep for a long time.
    But when not sleepy... Sometimes I'm lucky to get 4 minutes of nursing out of him.

15lb 5.5oz this morning

How are you doing with the plugged ducts? I'd lean toward cutting sessions out slowly for that reason but it definitely sounds like you guys have found a good place to relax. I don't want you guys to have to deal with mastitis though. I've had it very mildly a few times after ds1 didn't nurse often for whatever reason during the day and both boys slept well that night. I'm trying to get ds1 to nurse less during the day and it's left me with a very congested spot on the right breast.
    Yep, ds and I also hit this same stage. Longer nursing sessions at nap time (which is slowly consolidating into two distinct naps) and bedtime but quick sips otherwise. He was always a quick, efficient nurser but is too busy playing now to bother. He's LOVING solids and cries the most adorable wail if we don't share everything with him. He cut two teeth last week and another seems to be coming soon. Extra fussiness because of that and his desire to be mobile. He can scoot and roll a few feet but he's determined to follow big brother.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zaynethepain View Post
    How are you doing with the plugged ducts? I'd lean toward cutting sessions out slowly for that reason but it definitely sounds like you guys have found a good place to relax. I don't want you guys to have to deal with mastitis though. I've had it very mildly a few times after ds1 didn't nurse often for whatever reason during the day and both boys slept well that night. I'm trying to get ds1 to nurse less during the day and it's left me with a very congested spot on the right breast.
    Yep, ds and I also hit this same stage. Longer nursing sessions at nap time (which is slowly consolidating into two distinct naps) and bedtime but quick sips otherwise. He was always a quick, efficient nurser but is too busy playing now to bother. He's LOVING solids and cries the most adorable wail if we don't share everything with him. He cut two teeth last week and another seems to be coming soon. Extra fussiness because of that and his desire to be mobile. He can scoot and roll a few feet but he's determined to follow big brother.
    I seem to have managed to clear the plug if it even was one. It was hard to tell, felt tender and bruised for days but I never felt like I managed to clear anything but feeling better now. I'm just making sure we wake up to nurse a few times at night and still offering to nurse often during the day and not pumping much anymore except when we drive up to the inlaws.
    It's been good this week with daddy home, I'm able to let daddy and baby have time together while I get some stuff done in 45 minute blocks between nursing. Unfortunately Daddy is gone again for another 8 day trip on Thursday. I'm rushing to get the heavy work done before he leaves so that I don't need to worry about doing those things while wearing a baby.
    Weight gain seems to have improved,
    Even with Pooping yesterday we are at 15lb 6.9oz today.
    He really likes eating!!! I nurse right before dinner and then he gets to play with solids at dinner. Really into meat loaf, potato, avacado and melon lately. And regularly giving him a stewed prune to make sure we don't see constipation if he insisted on sharing my banana early in the day.

He is so mobile now. Able to really hands and knees crawl and then pull up to standing on all sorts of things. Biggest issue now is his falling over and hitting his head.

We went through a week or so where it felt like my DD hit her head all the time... It got better and thankfully it's rarer now. Lots of chance to confort nurse tho

I wouldn't worry about banana unless you have poo issues, passes through easily here at least. Only way I get a whole banana these days is sneaking it while DD isn't looking.

Sounds like he's really doing great!