Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pumping output has majorly decreased- working mom

Default Re: Pumping output has majorly decreased- working mom

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*quest View Post
    have any working full time moms been able to drop the pumping and been able to maintain a longer term nursing relationship? would love to hear about that too.
    I'm a full-time working mom, and I've just started dropping pumping at work this week. I don't have any longer-term results yet, but so far so good!

I dropped down to 2 sessions/day a few weeks ago, then 1/day last week, and now I've left the pump at home all week. I plan to keep nursing in the morning, evening, and weekends, which has been working for the 4 days I've tried it so far . It's a bit uncomfortable (last night I had to pump before bed because I was too full). We are using my freezer stash and will add formula (*gasp*) when we are out.

I haven't decided yet, but might go back to pumping once at my lunch break again... or pumping at bedtime... so that she can have one small bottle of fresh breastmilk while at daycare in addition to frozen or formula. I've decided for my own stress-level to relax on the # of oz output. Curious to see how my supply keeps up for the coming months, but the lactation consultant who I've seen said that many moms do combo feed, and that there are still a lot of benefits that babies get from having any breastmilk at all rather than none.

Good luck, will let you know how it's going in a few weeks!

hope this is going well. i stopped pumping at work -- a bit earlier than I intended to, baby is 10 months-- but the alleviation of the stress of pumping has been great. i am not too full and the baby seems fine with it. she has been nursing more over weekends which hopefully will help me maintain supply.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*quest View Post
    have any working full time moms been able to drop the pumping and been able to maintain a longer term nursing relationship? would love to hear about that too.
    This is not usually ever recommended before the year point. Because as you are experiencing, before the year point your supply is still volatile. "Pump slumps" between 9& 10 months are actually very common. So no, it's not recommended to give up the pumping session because your supply will probably further dwindle. What we have seen work over the years is continue to pump as you are for the next 12 weeks. Supplement with your frozen breast milk as needed. Also begin giving and sending solids. Because after the 9 month point your child may actually need slightly less due to increased solids. That particular piece become MORE important as you get closer to the 12 month point and are working towards being in a position to safely pump wean. So at this point if you have freezer stash supplement what you are pumping with that. And hold on. So much will change in the next three month if you are diligent with the introduction of solid foods.
    Also there have been mothers here who have had to supplement at work with formula if they don't have a freezer stash and aren't making enough via the pump. That works too. But it's very risky if you throw in the towel on pumping altogether. I have seen that fail here time and time again over there years. Because at the 9 month point it's still very much all supply and demand. Your body still needs the mid day ques so that you continue to make enough while together.

Way too lazy for formula

I do appreciate that thought, and may start back up since I do want to keep going with morning and night as long as I can. The pumping was causing stress/work productivity issues since I was pumping 3 to 4 times with very low output-- it was also preventing me from tending to my older child as much. Perhaps even pumping once would help maintain the supply? I have to admit, taking a break so far has been really nice.

Baby has been consuming much less milk at daycare since starting solids. We first thought it was because she protesting the bit of formula but after some trial and error we figured out it was happening even with the breastmilk. We think that with the solids, she seems to just not need the same amount she did before. We have been doing alot of nursing AM and PM. But I will take this advice to heart. thanks so much

There may be some truth to that. But at this point, the baby should still be getting the majority of her nutrition from breast milk or solids. So I guess the place to start is how much were you sending before? And how much does she seem to need now? And I certainly don't think you need to pump 3-4 times while at work? Is that what you mean? Or was it twice at work and twice at home? I would probably still pump once or twice a day at work. Like once at lunch and then...how about on the car ride home? Have you ever done that? I love that sessions because it's so multi-tasking! You are driving. You have to be in the car. You are pumping too! But I would ditch any home sessions unless you see a dramatic drop off in production and then the session at home that I would add back in would be 1st thing in the morning. That is when the yield is usually best.

Way too lazy for formula

Sorry for the delay! I did end up stopping pumping altogether. I nurse morning, night, and weekends. I have been lucky to have no problems after a few weeks. Despite my stress/guilt over it, it has been a major stress reliever. I send freezer milk or formula and plenty of solids to daycare. I was pumping 3-4 times a day and not even getting enough milk for one bottle so it was really hard to keep it up. and sadly for me pumping on the commute was not possible as I am a subway rider