Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping output has majorly decreased- working mom

Default Pumping output has majorly decreased- working mom

I have a 9 month old and no longer pump enough milk for her at daycare-- maybe 1-2 ounces per session. I don't have time to pump more than 3-4 times per day. I have tried the supplements, pumping more often, more liquids, power pumping, etc.

Two questions:

1) I would like to either ditch the pumping all together-- and use the freezer stash or formula and nurse weekends/evenings/morning. Has anyone successfully done this without losing their supply? Any tips? I would like to keep nursing as long as possible.

2) Anything I have not thought of to increase pumping output?

thanks!

Default Re: Pumping output has majorly decreased- working mom

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you've hit a pump slump- they 're common in the later part of the first year, often around 9-10 months. So you're not alone.

Some moms do ditch pumping early and fall back on their freezer stashes. I'm not in favor of this for a couple of reasons. First, what happens if the freezer stash is suddenly no good? Maybe there's a power outage and everything gets defrosted, or the milk develops a lipase issue. Second, the pumping you are doing during the workday may be less effective than in days gone by, but it's still helping to maintain your supply for when you are together with your baby and able to nurse.

Here are some things you can do to boost supply:
    - Rehab your pump. They do wear down after heavy use.
    - Use a better pump. Maybe finish out the year with a hospital-grade rental?
    - Pump after nursing when you're home with baby.

Thanks so much for your response and encouragement. Sorry for my delay-- had log in probs. I feel like I have done almost all of that, sadly. And things only get worse over time no matter what I try.

I do use a hospital grade pump and still get only 1-2 ounces per session (recently even less), so already I have to dip into the stash for 1-2 bottles daily. Since currently I can only pump enough to supply one bottle. And I truly cannot pump more often than I do- I do weekends whenever I can. Evenings, 2-3 times during work, and I let the baby nurse in bed before we wake for the day.

What kind of rehab would need to be done on a hospital grade pump? I use the PISA for work and have changed the membranes regularly, etc.

I do worry about supply decreasing... but on the other hand whenever we are together full time (weekends/vacations), we don't have a problem. Any other experiences or suggestions? I really want to keep the nursing going...

Thanks so much!

Just clarifying here--you say that you are using a hospital grade pump, but then mention that you are using the PISA for work. The Pump In Style is actually not a hospital grade pump, so if that is the only pump you are using, it might be worthwhile to look into a hospital grade rental (which would be called a Lactina or a Symphony if you were using Medela brands).
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

ah yes-- i use a symphony at home, where I work 3 days/week; and a PISA in the office where I am 2 days a week

Is your baby eating solids? Once my baby began eating solids, I was not surprised to see that I couldn't pump as much as I used to. In fact, two pumping sessions used to yeild 9 oz and now only 5-6! Whenever I couldn't pump enough for my baby I'd send along some food and a drink of water too. This way he had the option of food in case he was hungry.
    Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

I say don't stop pumping altogether, but use your freezer stash as needed. I had no freezer stash at that point, but my little one loved both solids and nursing so I just gave her what I could pump and hoped nursing would make up the rest. I think I added a few extra pumps in a week to try to get a little more, too.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

I had the 9 month slump. I tried everything to get it back up except get a hospital grade pump. I just kept pumping (a bit more frequently when possible) and it seemed to pick up on its own in a month or so. Don't know why for sure it didn't seem to coincide with any of the things I tried. Maybe yours will randomly get better too.

appreciate the responses and encouragement. hope the increase happens to me. i pump about 1 oz (or less) each time i pump. So it not getting no better no matter what i do. and yes we are doing solids. As this point, I am hoping to just maintain the night, morning, and weekend nursing as long as I can. My freezer stash is sadly no more. I made it through this stuff with the oldest but this time it is just more challenging. frustrated of course!

have any working full time moms been able to drop the pumping and been able to maintain a longer term nursing relationship? would love to hear about that too.