Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Milk almost gone... Please help!

Default Re: Milk almost gone... Please help!

I don't want to answer too soon, but I think we might be very slowly improving. I've been pumping every 2-3 hours, and getting about 2 ounces each time. I just hope my supply will keep increasing; I don't want it to stay at 2 ounces each time.

I have tried putting my son to the breast again, although he still isn't able to latch on.
    I know I should be drinking lots of water, but I've never been a big water drinker. Any ideas?
    Also, I've been taking about 8 fenugreek capsules a day. Is this okay?

Thank you so much for all of your responses!

[quote=NicoleR80]>I don't want to answer too soon, but I think we might be very slowly improving. I've been pumping every 2-3 hours, and getting about 2 ounces each time. I just hope my supply will keep increasing; I don't want it to stay at 2 ounces each time.<

That is terrific! You are really making great strides in increasing your supply. By removing milk from your breasts more frequently, you are telling them to MAKE more - and it is working

>I have tried putting my son to the breast again, although he still isn't able to latch on. <

Many mothers in your situation find it helpful to keep the baby *skin-to-skin.* This means that the baby wears just a diaper and is tucked in next to your bare chest. You can do this at sleepy times in bed, or around the house with him in a sling. By using this *skin-to-skin* technique you are providing him with many opportunities to latch on when HE is ready, not just when he is hungry. You are making it a warm and comfy place to hang out, a place he WANTS to be.
    Do you think that this is something you might be able to try?

>I know I should be drinking lots of water, but I've never been a big water drinker. Any ideas? <

You only need to drink when you are thirsty. You can certainly make a point of drinking a glass of water every time you pump, but forcing fluids can actually supress your milk supply.
    The most effective way to make more milk is to nurse or pump more often. You have started to do this, and it is working! YEAH!

>Also, I've been taking about 8 fenugreek capsules a day. Is this okay?<

If you take fenugreek, make sure it does not contain any other ingredients. Apparently, some manufacturers include other herbs which can actually DECREASE your milk!
    The dosage to take varies with each person. you need to take enough so that you smell of maple syrup Remember, it only works if you ALSO pump more frequently, like you have been doing.
    Please talk to your doctor before taking ANY herbs or otc meds. Fenugreek, for instance, is contraindicated if you have allergies to peanuts, or have severe hayfever, clotting disorders, hypoglycemia, or diabetes.

I do hope that this helps.
    warmly,
    LLLnormaR

I just looked at my bottle of fenugreek and it contains cellulose and gelatin...are these ok? I feel like I know nothing!! lol!

Jessiiee2005 - yes, those are alright (that's probably what the fenugreek is encapsulated in). Norma was talking about other herbs that are often mixed in with fenugreek.

oh ok, I was about to get mad at GNC!!

Have you tried a Lact-Aid? My sister went through the same thing, her dd wouldn't latch after a NICU stay and her supply suffered. Bottles can sometimes make babies lazy because they don't have to work very hard to get fed whereas with breastfeeding they have to suckle for a min before milk comes in. That was her daughter's problem, she would put a few drops of formula on her nipple, tape the lact-aid down and when her dd got hungry offer her the breast, once she got the taste of food she nabbed hold. Then, once her dd would latch one she worked on correcting the latch, it was hard but she said the lact-aid helped a lot and she is actually bf exculsively now. You might want to give the lact aid a try, they aren't too expensive (around $60). The other benefit is that your baby stimulates your nipple much better than any pump which will also signal your body to make more milk.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)