Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Enzymes and proteins: always feed two hours apart, min?

Default Enzymes and proteins: always feed two hours apart, min?

Hi all,

I was told that proteins and enzymes cannot work well with feeds closer then two hours and that a feed before that is putting new food with older food which upsets baby's tummy.
    Has anyone heard this before? Is this true?

Baby is 8 weeks old, slight reflux.

Thanks.

Default Re: Enzymes and proteins: always feed two hours apart, min?

I haven't heard that before, but it seems very unlikely! Many babies nurse more often than every two hours, especially during the early months.

In fact, nursing more often than every two hours can actually help with a lot of problems, including reflux. Smaller, frequent feedings are easier for a baby with reflux to digest.

Huh! I have certainly heard the (erroneous) idea that an infant can somehow nurse "too frequently" but not that particular rationale before.
    I am curious! Maybe ask who told you this what their source of information is and if this is specifically about breastmilk or what. I do know that there was a time there were similar warnings about formula, but now, if I am not mistaken, as long as steps are taken so a baby is not overfed in general, it is perfectly fine and probably more healthy to give bottles of formula on cue just as one would the breast. (A breastfed baby will not 'overeat' but a bottle fed baby might.)

When I hear something that sounds a bit questionable, I wonder if it makes sense, biologically. As LLLKaren says, many babies prefer to nurse very frequently, more frequently than every two hours at least part of the day. Also, a baby may wish to nurse for comfort, regardless of when they last nursed. This is pretty universal among breastfed babies.
    So why would this desire to nurse very frequently occur if it was harmful? It does not make sense biologically speaking. Or as I like to but it, Mother Nature is unlikely to screw up that badly.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; September 13th, 2014 at 12:29 PM.

Myth. I also wonder who invented this particular gem!