Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding 10 days old

Default Breastfeeding 10 days old

Hi,

With my first baby I had a c-section and had issues with establishing my supply. I had my second baby last week (10 days back) and it was a successful VBAC. I thought the nursing was going on well as she nursed every two hours and seemed satisfied for the first three days and I was able to express colustrum and thin milk. We visited the pediatrician on the third day and she mentioned that the baby has lost weight and was not gaining enough and asked us to supplement formula. We are giving her 1oz every other feeding after she finishes nursing on me. I have been pumping 15 minutes three times daily in between feedings and all I am able to get is 1oz in a day, she takes 4 oz of supplement. What is the best way to increase my supply and get her out of the formula? Any advice is appreciated. I go back to work in another 8 weeks.

Default Re: Breastfeeding 10 days old

Congratulations on your baby and your VBAC! I had all of mine via C-sections- how I wish I could have experienced vaginal birth.

Are there other issues? Is nursing comfortable for you? Is baby overly sleepy? Jaundiced? etc.

How many times a day does your baby nurse? At this age, healthy gaining infants tend to nurse a minimum of 10-15 times a 24 hour day.

It is normal for a newborn baby to lose weight in the first few days of life. Then (assuming all is well) the weight loss stops and baby starts gaining, usually the gain begins by day 3-5. It is a usually a good sign if baby is back to birth weight by day 10 or earlier, although some take a little longer. If baby is NOT back to birth weigh by 2 week, that is a red flag something may be wrong.

You are only supplementing 4 ounces a day. That is not so much. How is baby's weight gain since? I assume because there was so much concern that formula was prescribed, that weight gain is being closely monitored? Are all weight checks on the same scale, done very carefully, done on a digital readout professional infant scale, with baby naked or in a dry diaper? This is very important. Scale error does happen.

Pump output does not correspond to milk production. Many mothers are not able to pump amounts that equal what a baby would extract, especially in the early weeks. So if you think you need to pump 4 ounces a day in order to stop supplementing 4 ounces, that is not how it works. Basically it is more complicated than that.

Basically you might want to look at babies weight history in total. You want to be aware where there might have been scale error. Then, you want to look at output. Have you kept a record of babies poops? Or can you start? While weight gain is the final judge, Poops can often tell you a great deal about if baby is getting enough milk to gain.
    I think that if your baby's gain is on track, you could talk to your child's pediatrician about stopping or rapidly weaning off the supplements right now. When your baby gets less from the bottle, baby will nurse more, and that is usually the best way to increase milk production.

How does nursing feel?
    If nursing feels good and the pump doesn't hurt either, then pumping after nursing as many times a day as you can manage is often a quick way to increase supply but this might be best done with a hospital grade pump.

If there is any issue with nursing discomfort or if you feel there is milk there but baby seems to take a really long time or has trouble getting it out there could be a problem with milk transfer and it is possible the problem isn't really your supply and getting some hands on help to assess the situation may be in order. http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3901

Thank you both for your quick response.
    * Baby nurses atleast 10 times per day and I pump 3-4 times inbetween with Medela Symphony hospital grade pump ( I get 1 oz per day, with 3-4 15 minute pumping sessions)
    * Baby takes a long time to nurse and used to sleep at the breast last week, this week it has gotten better and she stays awake more.
    * She does not have jaundice. She pees a lot (8 wet diapers per day) but poops only once per day (a lot in one go, seedy yellow).
    * There is nipple bruise but I am using topical ointments and nursing is not uncomfortable.
    * The next doctor appointment is tomorrow so I will know once she is weighed again, if the supplement is good enough and if she is gaining enough weight with 4 oz supplement per day.

OK, so things look ok but there area couple things that MIGHT (And I do mean might) be cause for concern- namely, the once a day poop & nipple bruise-long feedings MIGHT indicate some issues with milk transfer but can also be entirely normal.

you are certainly approaching this seriously and carefully, with the recommended approach, best pump, etc. You are using a really good pump-make sure the breast flanges are sized correctly for you and also, sometimes hand expression works better (or can be added along with pumping) Also, be aware that being engorged can make it very hard to pump anything. (If you are not getting engorged that is fine)
    IF weight gain is not in good shape tomorrow, and/or doctor continues to suggest ANY supplements, I would strongly suggest seeing a International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) for a private appointment so that breastfeeding can be assessed. If a baby is not gaining normally via breastfeeding, something is wrong, and figuring out what that is will help a lot in finding a solution.

If weight gain is in good shape, you can ask about no longer supplementing at all.

more on lactation consultations http://cwgenna.com/lconsult.html

Hi,

My baby gained birth weight by around 16 days. pediatrician is fine with her progress and has asked me to wean supplement if I am producing enough. Currently she is taking around 6oz of formula and 2oz of BM and gaining weight around an ounce per day. I am pumping 3 times a day between nursing and all I am getting in a day is 2 oz. I am taking fenugreek, lactation cookies and drinking mothers milk tea.
    She nurses pretty fast at night and in the early morning when I am full but then she is sleepy during the day and is very slow in nursing.

In another 8 weeks I will be getting back to work. How can I increase my supply?
    Thanks for your support and help.

There are many ways to increase supply. But first, be aware that what amount a mother can pump only reflects the MINIMUM amount of milk there is in the breasts. Pumps are physiologically very different than nursing and so pump output is never an accurate measure for seeing production.
    I would suggest, under the guidance of your pediatrician or an IBCLC, keep pumping but start slowly weaning baby off the formula and see what happens. Once baby is safely off the formula, wean off the breastmilk supplements as well.

OK, for increasing production-The first thing to look at is pump type, pu7mp condition, and fit. You need the best pump you can get and it needs to fit you well. What kind of pump are you using and is it new?
    To increase production, milk must be removed from the breasts frequently. You are pumping 3 times per 24 hours. Could you add another pump session or two?
    How many times does baby nurse? Encourage baby to nurse as often as baby will. Try switching sides during each session at least once, if baby will.
    There are many galactagogues in herb, food, and medication form. I would suggest research what else you could try taking. Also dodage matters, many moms are taking galactigogues but at inadequate levels. HOWEVER herbs are not benign, there are possible side effects to be aware of so educate your self as best you can. Again I would suggest seeing an IBCLC.
    A very good resource for more info is the book Making More Milk. Kellymom.com is a good online resource.

8 weeks is a long time in the life of a newborn. I suggest do not even think about work yet. These early weeks are a crucial time for increasing milk production to normal levels because this is the time hormones are helping your production the most. So concentrate in that area for now would be my suggestion.

more on weaning off supplements http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/

to increase milk production do as pp suggests.
    Also, nurse as often and for as long (switching sides if you can) as baby will
    And, pump after nursing for between 5-15nminutes after as many nursing sessions as you can (but don't cut short or rush nursing sessions, baby comes first.)
    It isn't really about how much you can get out but telling your body there is more demand.

If your baby goes longish stretches between nursing and you can't get baby to nurse then, you might do "power pumping" that is pump for ten minutes then take a ten minute break then pump for ten minutes and keep this up for up to an hour.

Patience, pumping takes practice.
    Using a hands free bra (or make your own) and doing massage/compressions and/or using warm packs while pumping, breathing excersizes, meditation, focusing on pictures of baby or smelling something of your baby while pumping can help, for others distraction can help.

Right now pumping only 2 extra ounces per day while you are also feeding baby all the time is not bad pump output. Once you are no longer supplementing and you can start storing up your pump output to prepare for your first day back at work you will probably have enough in a week to fill that first day's need provided your work days are not too long.