Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple pain, need help!!

Default Nipple pain, need help!!

This is baby #3 and bf baby #2, I've never been in this much pain and am close to my breaking point. Baby is 8 days old, I have double d's and baby is 8lbs. Every latch is extremely pain but the pain goes down after milk is flowing. I have inverted nipples and one is a little more out than the other. Both have sores, cracks and a oozing sore that looks like a straight line on the top part of my nipple (which is white after each feeding and turn yellow and oozy shortly after) one side is worse than the other and I'm literally crying at each feeding and tensing up! I was told our latch is fine but something has to be wrong. please help close to giving up

Default Re: Nipple pain, need help!!

Can you see an IBCLC http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3901

If you are in such pain, latch is obviously NOT fine. Has baby been checked for tongue/lip ties?

He's not either. I agree with the latch comment but 2 lactation consultants at the hospital said he was latched correctly and told me the pain would eventually fade but the pains gotten worse

Latch is NOT fine. I am also thinking that baby needs to be checked very carefully for lip and tongue ties. And hands-on help from a LC, preferably an IBCLC, is a really good idea.

What shape are your nips when baby unlatches? Symmetrical, like pencil erasers, or asymmetrical/wedged/creased/ridged/ shaped like new lipsticks?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Creased, that's why the sore on top is shaped in a straight line. Can you give any advise to heal the wounds? I will be contacting a new lc in the morning

Kellymom has a good article on healing sore nipples. Sorry I can't link it right now but the site is www.kellymom.com
    If the wound is open, a little otc antibiotic ointment may help prevent infection. Some IBCLCs suggest gently bathing injured nipples with mild soap and water 2 times a day for the same purpose.
    Lanolin is usually helpful when nipples need healing due to an off latch. It needs to be applied after every nursing session and can be in a very thin layer. If it gets cold it can be hard and stiff, so melt it by manipulating it for a bit in your fingers first. Some mothers prefer a different nipple ointment and that is fine, any ointment made for the purpose should provide the moist barrier that will promote healing. but purified lanolin is very often effective has been used since the 50s at least..
    But fixing the latch is key.

Nice all in one article on latch and positioning (also important for comfortable latch) ideas http://feedthebabyllc.com/latch-and-positioning/