Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My 3 month old prefers a bottle.

Default My 3 month old prefers a bottle.

My daughter just turned 3 months old, and she is recently starting to really fuss at the breast. I started back to work about 4 weeks ago and was so happy that she took to a bottle well. Now I'm afraid she prefers it. I'm able to see her at lunch and it takes a lot of calming her down before I can get her to nurse. As of yesterday, the only time she will nurse is her MOTN feedings and first thing in the morning. When I get home from work she hasn't nursed at all, I've offered and she will suck for a few seconds then fuss. I have a feeling she might be impatient for my letdown because when I can get her to calm down long enough to stimulate a letdown she nurses fine. I know my supply is fine because I pump every time she ends up taking a bottle. I don't want her to associate me with her sadness and frustration, but I just don't want to give up. It is so hard for both of us though.I just want to be able to feed my baby! The other night I even tried to pump to stimulate my letdown but at that point I was too stressed that my milk wouldn't come in. I'm wondering if I should just start exclusively pumping to end this frustration I feel is taking a toll on our relationship. I just so badly wanted this to work. Any advice??

Default Re: My 3 month old prefers a bottle.

How much and how often is milk being given in a bottle, is the teat slow flowing and are bottles being given in a paced breastfeeding friendly manner?

Smaller bottles given in a paced manner can help reduce bottle preference. Kellymom also has some great tips for bringing a baby back to the breast.