Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is dimpling always a bad sign?

Default Is dimpling always a bad sign?

My son is 12 days old and we have been breastfeeding. I notice that his cheeks dimple and everything I read and the lactation consultant at the hospital says that's bad. It only hurts the first few seconds, I point my nipple to the roof of his mouth, his lips are open wide and it doesn't look shallow?, his chin is against me more than his nose, I don't think his tongue is in the way (though I can't see it.) And he has enough diaper changes. Even if I detach and relatch the dimples are still there. I'm worried that we aren't doing it right because of the dimples. The only other thing is that when he is really excited it can make a squeaking sound. Thank you for any advice!

Default Re: Is dimpling always a bad sign?

The most important part is how nursing feels and how well baby is getting milk. If nursing feels fine and you are not having any nipple injury and baby is gaining well then don't worry about dimples. However, if you nipples are raw or sore more than just as he latches on then it could be a problem.

for help finding an IBCLC in your area you can use this web site http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3901 If in doubt, seek more help.

Default Re: Is dimpling always a bad sign?

WSS.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"