Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too much attention on one breast?

Default Too much attention on one breast?

My LO is 5 weeks and I've had a hard time with BF. I've had Thrush and Mastitis but luckily I have a good supply. That being said, Ive recently been waking up with a rock hard right breast. The lactation lady I worked with said to make sure both breast feel jiggly after feeding and if I feel one side is still full I can pump ( to avoid plug ducts). I feel like I've focused too much on my right breast and now it's over producing. How do I back off enough to slow the production without getting clogged ducts? Or am I approaching this all wrong?

Default Re: Too much attention on one breast?

Hi, I don't think you are approaching this all wrong. This can be a confusing issue and basically you need to figure out what works for you.

First I just want to make sure baby is gaining well, exclusively breastfed? Or is baby also getting your expressed milk in a bottle?
    Pumping after every feeding is quite possibly going to cause overproduction.
    on the other hand, if you are prone to plugs, getting the breast closer to "empty" makes sense.
    What may be the problem is the concept of "jiggly." Every moms breasts are so different. I doubt my breasts were EVER "jiggly" in the early days. I had overproduction, and while my breasts would soften and feel ok (when all was going right) they always felt somewhat heavy with milk and "jiggling" them would have felt uncomfortable. For another mom, this might have been the perfect level of milk extraction. It's just too subjective because we are all so different.

Here is what I would suggest. This is assuming breastfeeding is comfortable for you and baby is gaining normally now??

Call your breastfeeding helper and let her know what is going on. She is the one who helped you and knows the situation better than anyone (except you.) So she may have some better ideas for you. Also you might want to clarify what her credentials are. Is she a board certified lactation consultant? (IBCLC,) a LLL Leader,? etc.

Nurse often. As often as baby will. Encourage baby to nurse frequently.
    Let baby nurse one side at a time, unless baby wants the other side.
    BUT: Nurse on the more full side each session if YOU feel the need. You can 'start' on that side more too. Whatever works, go by how you feel.
    If baby will not nurse and you are getting full, hand express a little milk-enough so the breast softens, and you are comfortable.
    If hand expression does not work, pump, but just a little, until the breast feels no longer too full. This is called pumping "to comfort."
    It is usually ok if the breasts get a little full. This fullness will tell your body to make a little less milk. But it is very important to avoid rock hard engorgement! So it is important to go by how you feel at the time and tweak your approach as needed.

hand expression: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...expression.pdf