Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oh No My Milk!!

Default Oh No My Milk!!

fIRST TIME BREASTFEEDING MOM. I HAVE BEEN BACK TO WORK FOR 1 MONTH NOW MY SON IS 2 MONTHS OLD AND MY MILK SUPPLY HAS DECREASED DURING THE DAY WHEN I AM AWAY I AM PUMPING 3 TIMES A DAY FOR 10 MINS MY COMBINED TOTAL IS ABOUT 2-3OZ BY THE END OF THE WORK DAY. ON MONDAY MY SESSIONS WENT GREAT THE REST OF THE WEEK HAS GOTTEN DEPRESSING. wHAT CAN I DO? IS THIS NORMAL?SHOULD I JUST FEED AT NIGHT?

Default Re: Oh No My Milk!!

The same thing happened to me when I returned to work. I had to buy a better pump and started pumping more before and after work. Pumping more should increase your supply. Remember our breasts work on supply and demand. I read that you should be doing at least 8-10 feedings/pumpings a day to keep your supply up. This has worked for me. I hope it helps you. What kind of pump are you using? I had an Evenflo one at first and it did not get the job done. After buying a Medela Pump in Style Advanced, my bm supply increased and it made pumping so much easier.

Hi,

Here's a link to some ideas on how to increase your milk supply while pumping. I hope it helps: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html .

Tiana

I was just wondering, after 10 minutes when you stop - is there still milk coming out? I have to pump for 15-20 minutes. If you go 2 minutes beyond when the "streams" stop flowing, it should help to signal your body to increase production.

Another thing that has helped me a great deal is to stop by and see my son at lunch. If your baby is nearby, you may want to consider it.