Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple soreness after pumping--please help!

Question Nipple soreness after pumping--please help!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but not new to bf'ing. I nursed my older son for 14 months, which entailed pumping regularly at work. I used a Medela InStyle pump, got plenty of milk, and basically never had any problems pumping.

Fast forward five years and now I have a new little son to care for. I was blessed to get to spend four whole months with him all to myself, but now I have to return to work. I've been going in 2-3 days a week for a few weeks to get us both used to it, and to remind myself of the old routine of pumping. Next week I begin working 4 full days a week.

I am still getting a decent amount of milk, but in the last few days, my nipples have started getting VERY sore and sensitive. They also look like they're getting hickeys on them on the sides, or at least little tiny red dots (what I assume are broken blood vessels). I started turning the suction down and only pumping for strictly 10 minutes, whereas before I was doing maybe 15. It's still pretty tender. It hurts a little to nurse him, too, when I get home, although after a couple of times in the afternoon/evening, it's okay and things start to normalize--until I have to get the pump out the next day.

I have heard about getting different sized breast shields, but I'm confused why a) I didn't apparently need them with my first child, and b) why this would only start now after pumping three weeks (plus I did so periodically when he was an infant to build up a stash). I'd gladly go out and buy larger shields if I thought it would work, but I just don't know what is the problem. Help???

Thanks!
    Issa

Default Re: Nipple soreness after pumping--please help!

is this the same old pump? An old pump caused me injury. And nipple size can change over time hence sometimes the need for different size shields.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tclynx View Post
    And nipple size can change over time hence sometimes the need for different size shields.
    Definitely true! I've actually had to utilize three different sized shields over the course of pumping at work for my one single child. I started out needing a very small size, then plumped up and needed two sizes bigger than what I returned to work with, and now have settled on the size between those two.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

I went through several sizes of shields when I pumped for my son. I was fitted with Large in the hospital, needed medium by the time I went back to work, and had to switch to small by 9 months. Now that I am pumping for my daughter, I need a small on 1 side and medium on the other. So yes, it can change. At this point, I don't question it and just go with whatever is comfortable at the moment since I own quite the assortment by now

My nipples are also suddenly damaged with my Medela Pump In Style. They become cracked and bleeding. I have tried different sized shields as well. I'm really frustrated! I think I am going to stop by a local BF'ing group to see if they notice anything wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*whitney6484 View Post
    My nipples are also suddenly damaged with my Medela Pump In Style. They become cracked and bleeding. I have tried different sized shields as well. I'm really frustrated! I think I am going to stop by a local BF'ing group to see if they notice anything wrong...
    Is thrush a possibility?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"