Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breastfeeding and pumping questions for a 3 week old

Default Re: Breastfeeding and pumping questions for a 3 week old

Okay now first I want to say something about not getting another weight check until October. The baby was not gaining appropriately at first. And baby is not back to birthweight by two week weigt check. And three poops a day is basically the bare minimum you want to see for a baby this age. I really think that another weight check is warranted in that case just to be absolutely sure everything is now ok. Last thing you want is to go back in October, find out things have not been going well gain wise for sometime, and have to address it at that point. The earlier any issues can be identified and taken care of the better. I really don't want to alarm you, but unfortunately this is how breast-feeding issues get missed. Instead of being over anxious to give formula, which of course is also a problem, some doctors tend to be too hands off when there are indications that there really may be a weight gain problem.

So your husband may be interested to know that bottles and babies has actually been studied and it was found that it really did not matter when the bottles were introduced in terms of whether baby was excepting of bottles or not. What the study found is that some babies take the bottles easily and others don't and it really doesn't matter when they were introduced.
    I would say your baby is going to be so young when you return to work and baby has to have bottles that it is much less of a possibility the baby will "refuse" bottles. Six week old are very hungry they are going to want to be fed. The paced bottlefeeding suggestions that I think I linked above are also helpful for when a baby is resistant to the bottle. Also if a baby truly refuses to drink from a bottle baby can be cup fed believe it or not it works quite well. Jack Newman has a video of a newborn being cup fed.

As previous poster explains feeding the baby bottles now (unless needed in the case baby require supplements)is not only unnecessary it could cause issues and is a lot of extra work for you. This is your precious and brief time to relax and enjoy your sweet baby all of the time before you have to go back to work. I suggest doing everything you can to be able to relax and enjoy these weeks and that would be the best way to spend your time and energy.

If you want to do practice bottles, remember they can be very small because they are only for practice and they can be very infrequent. Four example a half ounce once a week -that's enough for practice.

Re: schedules -I'm not sure what you're asking,what schedules do you mean?
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; August 25th, 2014 at 06:22 PM.

Thanks for the info! As for schedules... I've seen a lot of schedules for 'training' a baby, ie sleep, nurse, play, repeat. The one day I tried this ended with our worst night yet. I know that he's still young and going through growth spurts... Just didn't know if anyone has a good schedule we could try. Right now I'm just going with him calling the shots. This is my first time doing all of this, so sorry for the silly questions!

Schedules are generally the enemy of breastfeeding success, because any time you space your baby's demand out to some artificial interval, you are messing with the supply = demand equation that governs milk supply. Your baby knows when he's tired, hungry, thirsty, playful, etc., and if you just trust him he'll eventually fall into his own rhythm.

Instead of an inflexible schedule, try a flexible routine. At this age, that can mean very simple stuff- try to open the curtains at around the same time every morning. Give the baby some natural light during the day and a nightly bath. Turn the lamps down as the sun goes down. Little tricks like that will help set your baby's circadian rhthyms and make him more predictable. But remember that he's a baby and babies are not designed to be predictable. If you want predictable... Get a robot, not a baby!

Oh ok. THOSE schedules.

Your questions are not silly at all! But there are some silly ideas out there when it comes to parenting "advice" and it gets very confusing.

As long as baby is eating often ENOUGH overall- 10 times a day or more is typical- You are 100% right to follow baby's lead. Your baby is way way way to young to even be thinking about "schedules." Right now, your baby is trying to gain about a half pound a week-as fast as baby was gaining the last few weeks in the womb, when of course baby was fed constantly. And baby must do this with a teeny tummy. This is why newborns MUST nurse very very frequently and sleep a lot overall, but usually in very short snatches at a time, so they can nurse a ton. Both eating and sleeping is going to be on a very irregular pattern and that is entirely normal and healthy at this age.

There is no proven reason to ever "put" baby on any kind of schedule EVER. Feeding and sleep schedules are designed for the convenience of adults (even though they are often actually quite inconvenient in practice) and have nothing to do with what a baby actually needs. As mommal suggests, it is fine to set the stage for sleep and have bedtime routines. It is fine for YOU to have some daily routines if you like. For example, even though I knew I would be glued to the couch nursing all day and had been up most of the night, I still made myself get dressed in the morning and take a shower in the evening during my kids' newborn periods. But these rituals were to give a shape to MY day so I did not go bonkers. A 3 week old is a long way from having any kind of recognizable "bedtime" or needing a bedtime or any other time routine.

Most babies naturally fall into some kind of recognizable sleep and eating rhythm, usually starting at around a few months old, but then this rhythm typically change many times.

I have three children and none have ever been "put" on any sleeping or eating schedule. They all sleep & eat normally and have regular bedtimes.

A great new book about normal infant sleep with helpful ideas for tired parents is the LLL book "Sweet Sleep."

http://kellymom.com/pregnancy/bf-prep/bf-links-father/
    Please read this article on newborn sleep training. It's directed specifically at the authors of a new born sleep training book. It's explains the pitfalls of parent- centric parenting and the science behind why it is so harmful to babies. My youngest is four months old. He's settled himself into a very easy routine in the last month or so. The newborn phase is exhausting and confusing to those unfamiliar with it but it does NOT last.
    Especially with the early weight gain issues you want to ensure baby is nursing very frequently. When you say he falls asleep, does he unlatch himself or do you take him off? I ask because babies can nurse quite efficiently in their sleep. I let my babies nurse through their naps and they often got second or even third sets of let downs way after the actual ' falling ' asleep. The extra skin to skin stimulation is also great for supply. (Actually, baby just stirred and nursed in his sleep without ever waking up while I typed this. )
    The other link has a ton of tips on how your husband can bond with baby without bottles. The benefits of breastfeeding are so vast (including reducing YOUR risk of several cancers) that I'd really stand up to him on this. Bottles are for when mom is not there or supplementing must occur. Anything else this early on can hinder you making it to your goal.
    Last edited by @llli*zaynethepain; August 26th, 2014 at 03:26 AM.

http://evolutionaryparenting.com/edu...ys-lesson-one/
    Links are not working properly today.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*laurennn View Post
    I think the flange on my pump is the wrong size, so it's not working very well right now.
    More on that here: http://www.ameda.com/breast-pumping/...ted/flange-fit

My husband is more interested is having the ability to feed the baby himself, so he will be ready when I go back to work as well. After 4 attempts of pumping I've only gotten about 3 ounces, so he's only fed him twice, with no problems (and with me finishing the feedings via breast).
    Ideas for paced bottle feeding, so that baby doesn't accidentally get overfed. Bottles only provide food. Breastfeeding provides food and some much more (comfort, regulation of breathing and heart beat, hormones, antibodies, sleep regulation, etc). So this is why you can't overfeed a baby by the breast, but it's very easy to overfeed a baby by the bottle. Here is some info about paced bottle feeding to help regulate that: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/ and https://www.llli.org/docs/0000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Thank you for all the numbers-it's hard to guess how he'll be eating when I go back to work-he is so random with when he is hungry.
    Do you have a suggestion on scheduling? I wanted to get that set before going back to work.
    Thanks!
    Most moms that are separated from their babies find that nursing as often as the baby wants for as long as he wants works best, even when they go back to work! Scheduling breastfeeding is associated with decreased milk supply, and decreased satisfaction in mother and baby.

Maybe you are referring to scheduling for pumping when you are at work. The good news is that the pumping sessions don't have to be evenly spaced. They can be an hour apart, or three hours apart. You can pump sometimes at one time of day, and other times at other times of day. Some rules of thumb that many moms follow:
    - If you're short on time, it's better to have a shorter pumping session than to skip it all together.
    - If you're short on time, you can consider squeezing in a short pumping session, then having an extra long pumping session later.
    - Pumping right when you arrive at work and/or just before you leave can be a great way to squeeze in one or two more pumping sessions.
    - Most moms have success when they don't go more than 4 hours without pumping.
    - Shooting for 8-10 pumping or nursing sessions per 24 hours works for many moms.

Or maybe you were referring to scheduling the baby while your husband takes care of the baby? Most babies do well with a flexible routine. Also, it can be helpful for dads/other caregivers to know of lots of other ways to calm and comfort a baby besides the bottle. This includes: going for a walk, rocking or bouncing, wearing in a sling, going for a drive, holding lots. Some moms choose to have the caregiver provide a pacifier for the baby when mom is away. This is because a baby's sucking needs typically are not fulfilled by the bottle, or else baby would eat too much. While mom is there, all sucking needs can be done at the breast. But when mom is away, sometimes a pacifier is a good substitute.
    La Leche League Leader

Thank you for all of the help and articles!