Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need advice please!!

Default Need advice please!!

Our first baby was born July 25th. She latched and nursed excellently after birth, and aside from a little difficulty with an inverted nipple in the very beginning, things have been great. In the past week, she's starting being very fussy when feeding- latching on,sucking for a few minutes, pulling off and immediately crying out to re-latch and continue feeding. I've also noticed she's exhibiting signs of silent reflux: hiccuping, coughing, sneezing, arching her back-straightening legs out, thrusting her tongue, wet burps, wanting to feed all the time, and constant crying after feeding especially at night. We have a doctors appointment tomorrow morning. My question is: while putting her to breast calms her, am I perpetuating the reflux cycle? Am I making it worse? How do I know if its hunger or just pain? I'm exhausted, feeling guilty that I could be making it worse, and devastated that my baby could be so uncomfortable. Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Need advice please!!

Welcome to the forum!

Some questions for you:
    - How is baby's weight gain?
    - Has baby always been like this, or is the fussiness/burping/back arching/etc. new?
    - Does the fussiness at certain times of day, perhaps in the later afternoon/evening?

She was 6lbs 2oz at birth, and 5lbs 13oz at discharge. She was back to birth weight at her one week appt, and was 6lbs 14oz at today's appt. She has always had hiccups, but the wet burps/arching/fussiness is new. She likes to nurse for long periods of time, eating and then just comfort sucking. She definitely has the typical late afternoon/ early evening fussiness but lately it has spread into much of the day, which is unusual
    When I shared my concerns at the doctors today, she told me to nurse in a dark quiet room, and to not worry about reflux unless she was spitting up. I mentioned the silent reflux and was basically dismissed. She also told me to limit nursing for 20mins on each side then offer pacifier but I really don't feel like this would be the right thing to do. I guess I'm just looking for a little support/guidance as a first time mom with a less than helpful MD resource.
    Thank you!

Okay, so it sounds like weight gain may be a bit slow. Check my math on the timeline here, but it sounds like baby regained her birthweight by 1 week, but in the past 3 weeks has gained just 12 oz. Am I right? If so, that's on the slow end of the spectrum- after regaining birth weight, you're looking for a baby to gain 5-7 oz a week for the first 4 months. Considering that baby isn't gaining super-fast, I would absolutely ignore the pediatrician's stupid advice about limiting the baby's time at the breast and giving a paci- you want this baby to be eating as much as possible!

You mentioned long feedings. How long does baby feed, how often does she feed, and how does nursing feel?

I think it's a good idea for you to get a second opinion from a different doctor, and if possible also an IBCLC. The things you are seeing are suggestive of reflux, but I wouldn't settle on that diagnosis at this point because this could be nothing more than normal infant fussiness, it could be colic, it could be an undiagnosed tongue or lip tie... It could be a lot of things!