Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 11 Month old won't eat solids

Default 11 Month old won't eat solids

I need some advice on getting my 11 month old to eat solids (he will be 11 months in 2 days). He is a very healthy baby and there is no concern about weight gain. He's currently 22 pounds and was 7 lbs 4 oz at birth. He nurses every 2 hours during the day and every 1-2 hours all night. He sits at the table with us and I always give him finger food (usually small pieces of fruit and vegetable). He plays with it, chews on it or sucks on it and then spits it out. He seems to have very little interest in solids. I have tried giving him food before nursing but he just refuses the food and asks to nurse instead (I taught him a sign for it and simple words na na that he can say). I am not planning to wean any time soon but am just concerned that he may need food and am getting a lot of pressure from family and friends and have no idea what to say. Any advice would be appreciated!

Default Re: 11 Month old won't eat solids

I suggest the book My Child Won't Eat by Carlos Gonzalez, a pediatrician. It is not a book about how to make kids eat, in fact, he mostly suggests to NOT try to make a child eat. Rather, he explains normal eating habits, weight gain, and development, as well as giving a fascinating history of the entire issue of babies and children and food introduction. It is a lovely, readable and short book. Also cheap, if you cannot find it at the library. I think it will give you the reassurance you need.

Unless there is some physical issue causing it to be actually difficult for your child to chew and swallow, I doubt you have anything to worry about. It sounds like he is willing to put food into his mouth and experiment, which is where normal eating starts. It is entirely normal for a child to prefer milk at this age. Luckily your breastmilk is by far the most nutritionally complete food your child could eat or indeed will EVER eat. From what you have posted, his appetite is not lacking and he is gaining well. So nothing appears amiss based on what you have posted.

My middle son did not eat solids at this age. It worried me as his brother had taken quite well to solids starting at 5.5 months! But since he was gaining well on breastmilk our wonderful pediatrician was not in any way worried. Our son started eating at about 14 months or so. Interestingly he started eating by far the latest of my three kids but is easily the most enthusiastic eater now as a very healthy and active school age boy.

I read the book mentioned above as my daughter was/is similar. Very helpful! She's nearly 13 months and has taken slightly more interest in solids in the last week or so, I think perhaps because she is walking she is hungrier. But she still doesn't eat much at all. You're doing great, and I really would recommend that book too.

No need to worry. At that age, my girls were eating maybe a teaspoon or two of solid food per day. They didn't start to get really interested in eating solids until 14-15 months, and remained very well-nourished despite being 99% breastfed well into their second year.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you! He has been to the doctor and there is no concern about him and no medical problems. I never had this trouble with my older child but he wasn't as interested in nursing as this one always has been. It is reassuring to hear other babies have been the same. I will get that book. Thank you for the recommendation.