Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I know if my thawed milk is bad?

Default How do I know if my thawed milk is bad?

Hi everyone! Gosh, this forum is so awesome. I've found so much helpful information just by reading other peoples posts!

I'm a new mother and have been storing milk since 8/1/14. I was just reading in a breastfeeding packet I got from the hospital that you should test one bag of frozen milk before you start freezing in large quantities. The reason they list is because of lipase.

Earlier today I took out my first frozen bag and let it thaw. When I opened the bag, it had a slight smell ( not a sour/rancid smell, more like how an nice cube smells, like its been in the freezer). I let my husband smell it and he was not happy! Then, I did a taste test. I tasted the thawed milk (tasted a little sweet), then I tasted some freshly pumped milk from the fridge (this also tasted sweet). The only differences were the temperatures of the milk (the thawed was at room temp where the fresh milk was cold) and the smell ( my fresh milk was odorless where my thawed milk kind of smelled like the freezer-but not sour).

Any thoughts?? Should I be concerned? I don't think I have high lipase in my milk because after reading other posts in this forum (women saying their milk goes bad in a day or so or that their babies don't drink their expressed milk after a few hours because it's gone sour due to lipase). My month old drinks my pumped breast milk days after I've pumped it (I only keep it in the fridge for 5 days or less).

Do you think my frozen milk is oaky? Need help, I'm freaking out over here!! I hope I don't have to get rid of all the bags I froze so far!

Thanks in advance,
    Nicole

Default Re: How do I know if my thawed milk is bad?

It could be your milk has a freezer smell, which happens when it's not stored so well. Make sure it's double wrapped - such as a milk storage bag within a larger ziploc bag or plastic storage bin. Lipase has a distinct metal soapy taste, not sour or freezery. Also, if you're not sure, freeze it for a bit longer and then check.

Btw, lipase can come and go. I did not have a lipase issue until my baby was about 6 months old!
    Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

I would not worry, nor would I even think about discarding the stored milk! Even if you did have a lipase issue wi your stored milk- which I don't think you do- the milk would be perfectly fine for the baby to drink. The problem with lipase is not that the milk is bad, but rather that many babies will reject it due to taste issues. You could start giving baby tastes of the older stored milk and see if she has an issue with it. If not, you're good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I would not worry, nor would I even think about discarding the stored milk! Even if you did have a lipase issue wi your stored milk- which I don't think you do- the milk would be perfectly fine for the baby to drink. The problem with lipase is not that the milk is bad, but rather that many babies will reject it due to taste issues. You could start giving baby tastes of the older stored milk and see if she has an issue with it. If not, you're good to go!
    Exactly. And although my milk has the lipase issue, my baby will still drink it, although much less. But enough to tide him over. Of course I'd rather he drink 4oz instead of 2 so I make sure to deal with the lipase.
    Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

Thank you so much everyone!! He drank the thawed milk and everything turned out just fine! I think I was just jumping to conclusions after reading the breastfeeding packet from the hospital!

You guys ROCK!!

Your milk sounds fine. Milk with a lipsase issue usually smells like puke and tastes nasty. Nothing u described sounds problematic.

Way too lazy for formula