Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newborn baby nurses but doesn't get full

Default Re: Newborn baby nurses but doesn't get full

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post

I have to take back everything I said earlier about pumping. What are you doing with the pump at this point?
    I usually pump after every nursing session. I usually pump twice over night (such as 2 am and 4:30 am) but sometimes only once. At first I was giving milk to my good friend who had/has low supply issues but she hasn't asked for milk in a few days so I haven't been pumping as much. What I do pump is enough for him to be supplemented after nursing, to have a bottle from my husband if I'm fast asleep and/or in the bath etc., and then some. There are definitely some times that the baby gets a bottle (or gets nursed) and I *don't* pump but I also don't think I have any supply issues-- somehow I seem to have high supply but low transfer.

I really don't want to add confusion or needless worry to your situation, but I wonder a bit about the preference for a side. Some babies just have a side preference with no reason. Some prefer the flow, shape of nipple or other aspect of one breast. We are not perfectly symmetrical.
    My daughter however had torticollis that impacted her ability to position correctly on one side. This resulted in poor latch and poor transfer on that one side. Once I knew this I learned to adjust positioning differently and got her going with exercises to resolve the issue. Maybe something else to look in to.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*m11612 View Post
    I really don't want to add confusion or needless worry to your situation, but I wonder a bit about the preference for a side. Some babies just have a side preference with no reason. Some prefer the flow, shape of nipple or other aspect of one breast. We are not perfectly symmetrical.
    My daughter however had torticollis that impacted her ability to position correctly on one side. This resulted in poor latch and poor transfer on that one side. Once I knew this I learned to adjust positioning differently and got her going with exercises to resolve the issue. Maybe something else to look in to.
    Okay thanks.

Today when he was on my left side I was able to get him take in 2.4 oz in 20 minutes. I had done some reading about making sure he had the aerolia in his mouth and not just the tip of the nipple, and also about positioning him and my nipple to try to make sure it goes all the way up into his high palate if possible. So I paid close attention to these things and also to how he was sucking and I tried to wake him up or re-position him when he wasn't actively sucking, and encourage him to do so. I'm really happy about that and will keep trying to improve. He doesn't take in as much on the right side but we're working on that too.

YAY!
    Great progress, Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mylittleson View Post
    somehow I seem to have high supply but low transfer.
    And this is why it's a good idea to continue to pump while you get your baby's issues sorted. Milk supply is maintained by frequency and completeness of milk removal, so the high supply won't last if the milk isn't being removed enough.

If you got your baby to take 2.4 oz at the breast, it sounds like you are on your way to a much easier nursing relationship. Well done, mama!

Hi @llli*mylittleson, I can TOTALLY relate to your situation because mine is almost identical. My daughter is 1 month and is still having a very hard time transferring the milk from breast to tummy. I am also breastfeeding, bottle feeding my breast milk and then pumping. The "triple feeding" as I've heard it called is beyond exhausting and reading through this thread was helpful to know I am not alone. I am having a hard time now with the timing of everything. It takes about an hour and a half to do all 3 by myself and then I only have another hour and half before I am supposed to start again. The LO has been so fussy going back to bed that by the time she falls asleep we both only get about an hour at max before I should be waking her up to start everything again. I think we are both exhausted and it only leads to her falling asleep on my breast right away. I am lost as to what to do and I've talked to numerous LC's who have all said she has an immature suck and to just continue doing what I'm doing and she will grow stronger eventually.
    I'm wondering how you are doing now since its been a couple months since your last post. I"d love to hear if your LO has made any progress. My fingers are crossed for you that he is doing great. Please let me know as I'm right there in the same shoes!

Don't feel bad about using the bottle- you did what you had to under the circumstances. A different method of supplementing might have been preferable, but also might not have worked! Never mind. The important thing to know here is that you really don't need to worry that things will never get back on track. Your baby is still really, really young and there is every reason to think you will get things sorted as he grows.

It sounds like you started put with some bad advice from the hospital and lactation clinic... First, shields are good for babies who cannot latch, but who can get plenty of milk from the breast when they do latch. They are not good for babies who can latch but have trouble transferring milk, because shields can slow and reduce milk transfer. Second, when a breastfed baby requires supplementation, there are ways to do it other than the bottle- e.g. cup, finger, or syringe feeding, or via supplemental nursing system.