Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 week old concerns!!

Default 3 week old concerns!!

I apologize in advance for so many questions but I want to be sure we're on the right track!!

My son is 3 1/2 weeks old weighed 9lb1oz at birth, weighed 8lbs11oz when we left hospital and he's now 10lbs2oz.

He is fussy after the let down, he swallows and as soon as it slows down he gets upset. I try compressions and also switching sides. Is this from a growth spurt or is my supply decreasing??

He eats maybe for 10 minutes and then falls asleep, he has at least 6/8 wet diaper outputs but his dirty diapers seem to skip a day or a few days.

I'm concerned he's not getting enough milk since all of a sudden he's eating more, dirty diapers are less frequent and he doesn't eat for very long.
    His latch seems good as it doesn't hurt and I can feel the milk flowing.

Any tips or thoughts??

Default Re: 3 week old concerns!!

Signs your baby is getting enough milk:
    - Nurses as often as he wants for as long as he wants. Many mothers report this is 10-12 times per 24 hours or more.
    - Has about 3 "ok"-sized messy diapers per 24 hours (the size that your forefinger and thumb make when making the "okay" sign).
    - Gains weight appropriately. This is best monitored with a breastfeeding-friendly care provider when there are concerns. This is typically 5-7 ounces per week. If you came home from the hospital at 8lbs11oz about 3 weeks ago, then 10lbs2oz now is 23 ounces in 3 weeks = about 7.5 ounces per week. More on weight gain here: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/

When a baby is gaining weight well but not having 3 messy diapers per day, some people would say that's okay. From kellymom: "After 4 – 6 weeks, some babies stool less frequently, with stools as infrequent as one every 7-10 days. As long as baby is gaining well, this is normal." http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

Other signs things are going well:
    - Your breasts seem less full after nursing than before
    - No pain while breastfeeding
    - Baby has a period of being calm and awake for a few moments after some nursing sessions
    - More on supply here: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/

As for fussiness, babies are often fussy This can be more during the evening or late afternoon. Switching sides frequently is a great idea. Using breast compressions is a technique that works for lots of moms. Video here: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...lips&Itemid=13

You are doing great, but don't hesitate to check back in if I'm missing something

with the PP. This all sounds totally normal. I'll just throw this in- you're at 3.5 weeks now and at 6 weeks your midwife or obstetrician will probably ask you what type of birth control you want to use. If you're a mom who is worried about supply, I would avoid the hormonal methods until baby is closer to a year old. All hormonal methods have the potential to interfere with supply- including the supposedly "safe for breastfeeding" ones- so IMO it makes sense to wait a bit longer before monkeying with breastfeeding, even when all is going well.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If you have had a dip in supply, baby nursing a lot more frequently is how he helps increase your supply. Also how baby bumps supply up and gets extra milk to fuel a growth spurt.

Is the fussing/impatiens during a particular time of day? Or at every session?

Has baby been getting any bottles which might give him the idea that milk should just flow easily with no work/patience on his part?

Babies learn to nurse by nursing. When babies get more efficient they will spend less time getting the milk and poop patterns tend to change as well. With most babies this happens when they are a bit older but as long as weight gain and wet diapers are good then this could be normal for your little one.

My LO switched to less frequent poops rather early on and we brought it up with the Dr and he wasn't concerned. Keep in mind that infrequent poopers should produce LARGE poops when they do poop. Make sure the wet diapers stay plenty.

I agree with the above posters. If you are still concerned then try to see an IBCLC and do some weigh/feed/weigh checks to see how much your LO is actually getting at some feedings.