Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Change in BFing between baby 1 and baby 2?

Default Change in BFing between baby 1 and baby 2?

Hi everyone!

I've been away for a long time, and I really appreciate all the help and support I got from you all when I was nursing my DD. She's 2 1/2 now and absolutely wonderful - always eating (shocker! just like nursing) and growing just fine.

BUT I am now 7 weeks away from giving birth to a little boy! So ready to get him out and have him with us. I'm trying to have as little anxiety about the BFing process with him as possible, but I'm just sort of wondering if anyone has some experience or wanted to share with me if your body made milk differently or if your BFing process was different between children. I'm hoping that in general things will be easier because I have experience with one baby and know quite a bit more than I did last time, but I can't seem to find anything online about changes in your body's milk production from child to child. Is is like "every pregnancy is different so your milk will change from one to the next?"

Thanks so much!!

Karen

PS - if this question belongs in a different spot, feel free to move it, I wasn't sure

Default Re: Change in BFing between baby 1 and baby 2?

Congrats and welcome back, I'm new here since you were last around.

I only have one so no personal experience here but from all I've read, it is different with each child.
    I've heard that milk production tends to increase from one baby to the next but I know that isn't always the case.

Luckily you have done this before so know what it should feel like, so if anything seems "off," you know to get help ASAP to make it easier. Get as much help as you can to take care of yourself, house and older child so you can focus on taking care of the new baby and make sure you can nurse often to get your milk supply off to a good start since long term heroic measures with pumps and stuff are probably not a good option with an older child to keep up with in addition to the new baby. Be sure to dust off the baby carrier or try out some new ones since baby wearing becomes even more helpful when you are chasing another child as well.

Good Luck

Hi mama!

There will be differences in your milk this time. For starters, yes the milk you make this time will be different than before, but that is because it is *always* changing; changing throughout a feeding, the day- through the entire duration of your breastfeeding relationship! Our bodies know what our babies need at any given time and adjust accordingly.

Some women who struggled with breastfeeding their first children frequently find they have a better time with subsequent babies. There's much to say about experience and knowing what to expect and how best to prepare! Also, your milk-making tissue and cells have already done this before, so feel confident!

Don't be surprised to find that this baby may have a whole different style and feeding pattern! My first LO was high-needs (I knew no different) and was at the breast constantly; to eat, to comfort, to fight off boredom, whatever. Quite different from my third little guy who was all about business from the start and had no use for comfort nursing. He would actually cry if I offered the breast again after he had eaten and instead wanted the paci- until he found his thumb at 4 weeks- to suck on to fall asleep. Both grew well and have nursed for the same length of time (so far).

Best wishes!
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking baby BOY #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

Trust your body, it will do just as it should!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

OMG! I was JUST reading over our PM conversations the other day and wondering how you were doing! Welcome back! And congratulations! I am really sure that it will all be fine.

Way too lazy for formula

Congrats! I've had zero of the breastfeeding issues with my second that plagued the early weeks with my first. A much calmer delivery led to immediate latching. Being in a baby friendly certified hospital meant lo never left my side. I kept him in my arms and skin to skin for the whole hospital stay and latched constantly. He was gaining weight back by 48 hours of birth and was ten ounces over birth weight by one week. I did have my LLL leader visit on day 2 but just for fun. No technical help was needed.
    We chose not to circumcise our second due to the breastfeeding issues it caused our first and a friend's baby. I feel the drug and pain free start to life really helped lo.
    There was still a ton of crying for the first 6-8 weeks, and I've had to go dairy free again but those were expected. Tc lynx makes a great point about baby wearing. It's been my sanity saver! I never figured out carrying my oldest but lo lives in his ring sling. I started with a few minutes a day the first week to get some house work done. Now he cries at nap time until I put him in there.

I have a 2.5 year old and a 3 month old. I was terrified of nursing a newborn the 2nd time around because we had so many problems getting my first to latch. No 2 kids are alike and therefore no 2 nursing experiences.

Similarities:
    I have not had to worry about having enough milk either time.
    I have not had to worry about pumping enough while at work either time.

Differences:
    I had no engorgement the 2nd time. I couldn't even tell when my milk came in.
    My first was a slow eater and would nurse 40-60 minutes at first; my 2nd was 10-20 minutes from the start.
    My first was a slow gainer and there were concerns about how he grew; my 2nd has had phenomenal gain.
    My first pooped after every feeding pretty much; my 2nd had stopped pooping daily by 1 month old.
    My 2nd, despite the phenomenal weight gain had a tongue tie that caused nursing to be painful for the first 6 weeks. I never had pain nursing my first.
    My first ate every 2 hours. Always. My 2nd will go 2.5-3 sometimes during the day and longer at night.
    And the biggest difference is that I am more relaxed and more confident the 2nd time around

This is a good thread, I like reading the stories and variations.

Thank you everyone for sharing!!!! I definitely appreciate your words of encouragement and am happy to hear that things may be a little easier this time around. Last time, I started off with a cracked nipple even before I delivered because I tried pumping to get my contractions going and didn't know what I was doing. Once she was born, DD had a tongue tie and I was basically told to feed her every two hours, and not a moment sooner. Tongue ties I cannot predict, but this time I can definitely relax and just feed on demand when he's hungry - every 20 mins? bring it on

Of course, this has been the pregnancy from hell thanks to kidney stones and digestive problems, so within the first month I'm going to need a CAT scan and a colonoscopy. Hopefully with a good foundation in the first couple weeks I'll be able to pump enough milk so I can have these things done. I was a horrible pumper last time!