Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it possible fussy baby's not hungry?

Default Is it possible fussy baby's not hungry?

Hello again! More problems. I think it's been about 2 weeks since our last major one, so that's about right.

My 7-week-old has been fussing a lot during nursing. It started in evenings, so I thought it was just usual fussiness, but was concerned I might have slight OALD. Doing some laid-back nursing. Now he's doing it throughout the day, not just in the evenings. He's almost refusing one side now for most of the day. He'll eat for a few minutes on it a few times a day, but other times just sucks until letdown, lets go, and then starts screaming and won't latch on again. But then he won't latch on the other side, either. Sometimes he seems like he inhales milk, but I can't tell if it's from letdown. He spits up a lot some days, not others. But doesn't seem to be bothered by it. Poops are brown and normal (had 4 today and it's 6:30 p.m.).

Is it possible that I'm offering too much? I usually just offer when a while has passed -- not watching the clock, but if it seems like a while, so probably about 1.5 to 2 hours. Or if he seems fussy I'll try. Also, he generally only eats on one side at a time, so sometimes 4-5 hours passes per side. And a lot of times he'll only eat for a minute or two. It feels weird to me to space him out more and goes against my usual method, but I'm wondering if I should (obviously not if he's upset or anything). My daughter ate all the time!

He's had lots of wet and poopy diapers and seems to be gaining a lot. Is it possible some babies get upset from being offered too much? That seems weird to me. But he had eaten about 2 hours ago on one side, got fussy so I tried. He screamed when I tried him on both sides. I gave him his pacifier and he fell right to sleep. He's a happy baby overall when he's not nursing. That's our stressful time, generally.

Having the expensive IBCLC coming again tomorrow, but not sure she'll be able to figure it out! Plus, he'll probably be a perfect nursing angel when she's here. I know he's not starving, but it's frustrating. I'm trying to avoid pumping or other time consuming things, as time is not something I have right now.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Default Re: Is it possible fussy baby's not hungry?

Well if you are having OALD or oversupply issues you probably don't want to be pumping extra anyway.

But if it is an OALD issue, perhaps you might try expressing just until let down and see if he is ok with the flow AFTER the strong let down subsides.

Then again, if he is gaining a lot and having lots of wet and poopy diapers, maybe you could let it go a little longer before offering.

I know my little guy gets really squirmy when he has decided he is full and doesn't want to latch on anymore (sometimes it is fussy but often just not interested and distracted.) And sometimes fussy is "sleepy" but mine usually likes to go to sleep attached, then again if you keep flowing too much even when he just wants to comfort nurse, that might explain why he goes to sleep happily with the Paci.

Another thing I noticed with mine starting around that age was sometimes he just didn't want to do "that position" or be in "that location" so I found myself wandering around the house to see where he would calm down and latch on. Like certain times of the day he didn't like the couch anymore or the glider and about 1/3 of the time he will only take the Left breast if it is football hold (which only works on the couch.) And then as soon as I think I've figured out the code or routine, he changes it.

I would try letting down into a towel on the side that is frustrating him. If it's truly OALD then if you get rid of the initial force and that's what's upsetting him, then that should remedy the problem.

Way too lazy for formula

I think around seven weeks was when my lo was mainly just nursing from my left, nursing very quickly, and wanting to be rocked to sleep. He keeps switching things up on me though and I really try hard to forget the newborn phase as soon as possible. All the crying is traumatic. I do have a lovely case of oald and can get 3 oz out in less than five minutes with a pump that takes twice as long to simulate a letdown as baby does. So I know it's entirely possible for my lo to get a decent feeding in a really short amount of time.
    I think Tc lynx is right about location and position having a part in it too. 2 months was when lo really started having an opinion about nursing sitting down or in his sling, or being in or out side.

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately, I can't get LO to go in a carrier or sling, and I've never been good at nursing without pillows (am trying, but waiting until I'm fully healed). So we're kind of stuck on the couch a lot, but I am trying to move to other rooms on occasion. The LC thinks it's a combination of fussiness, my milk thinning out and coming out faster (I guess that happens around now), and occasionally his being overtired or not hungry. A variety of issues combined at once! She didn't think I necessarily have overactive letdown, but it might be "active" enough that it annoys him at the moment.

She weighed him before and after nursing and he did take in about 2.5 oz in about 5 minutes, so I guess he might be getting fully quickly, just like you said, zaynethepain. She did help me learn to hand express and nursing lying down, so I hope we'll have some success with that, and it was more value for my money.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.