Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP: 7 month old refusing breastmilk from breast and bottle

Question HELP: 7 month old refusing breastmilk from breast and bottle

My son started solids at 6 months and loves them. He's up to 3 solid meals per day. As he's increased his appetite for solids he's also decreased his interest in milk at the breast or the bottle. He has easily taken the breast and bottle up to this point. At this point it's a struggle just to get him to take a few ounces at a time. I'm pumping to keep up my supply, but I'm worried that if we keep heading down this road (if I let him have his way and don't battle with him at each feeding) that he won't get enough milk each day. I plan to sneak more ounces into his solids where ever I can, but that alone won't cut it. Has anyone else experienced this? Was it just a phase? This can't be self-weaning at this age, right? Should I keep battling him? Any tricks to get him to take more milk? I've read milk before solids (which makes sense), but was recently advised to give milk 30 minutes after solids. Does that make sense?

Default Re: HELP: 7 month old refusing breastmilk from breast and bo

Is he feeding himself the solids? Or is he being spoon fed?
    Are you still nursing (or trying ) before the solids? (that makes sense to me too.)
    Do you night nurse?

He is being spoon fed. Currently I am nursing before solids, but he pulls away after just a minute. I usually do nurse around 3 a.m., although I won't wake him if he stays sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kelley.lazarovits View Post
    He is being spoon fed. Currently I am nursing before solids, but he pulls away after just a minute. I usually do nurse around 3 a.m., although I won't wake him if he stays sleeping.
    Have you tried using a spoon or cup to give him milk?

Will he dream feed (nurse in his sleep?) I know mine often doesn't fully wake up but will still nurse.

What about trying to nurse again 30 minutes after the solids as well as before (maybe after he will be thirsty.)

As for the solid meals, could he be being over fed so that his tummy is too full to nurse? (as in is anyone using tricks to get him to take more?)

How is his weight gain? Has he had any signs of allergies (as in for instance if you say eat a lot of dairy sometimes some of the proteins could get in your milk and cause allergy problems which might explain why he resists milk from breast or bottle?)

I had the book "My Child Won't Eat" recommended to me a while back and I think it is a very good read though I'm not sure if it will help your situation it might shed some light.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try offering the breast at a greater variety of times rather than our typical schedule. I also like the idea of trying a cup. He might just be frustrated at how long it takes to get it.