Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EBF 8month, I feel a cold or bad allergies.

Default EBF 8month, I feel a cold or bad allergies.

Help, mamas
    My baby girl is 8 months old and EBF, however I feel very congested throat isn't sore but back of mouth seems to be. I honestly believe it's bad allergies. However, I hope it's not a cold, cause my 16 yr old came down with throat infection. I don't believe in taking meds since I'm breastfeeding my little one. However, I'm freaking out. Anyone e know safe natural remedies or safe homeopathic meds that are safe while I continue to nurse her. When I was pregnant I almost came down with a bad throat infection also and I packed on the OJ and cough drops with honey and chamomile with honey and lemon. I'm currently doing that again. But any other tips would greatly be appreciated. Oh by the way i don't have a milk stash and don't want to start her on formula at all. So please anything safe to use while nursing is appreciated once again.

Default Re: EBF 8month, I feel a cold or bad allergies.

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...s/cold-remedy/
    Our household got hit with a cold this week, too. Started with the baby and spread to all the rest. It's been pretty mild though so no meds needed. Hope this link helps you.

Did your 16 year-old have strep? That can be very contagious, and if you caught it from her you might need antibiotics. Don't worry about taking them while nursing- there are many choices which are completely safe for both mom and baby. If you do end up needing medications and you are worried about safety, contact Infant Risk: http://www.infantrisk.com
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes definitely, there are many medications that are safe while breastfeeding. I don't believe in taking antibiotics needlessly, however, if you need them, get them and take the whole course and make sure to eat your yogurt or other pro-biotics to help ward off yeast that some times moves in after taking anti-biotics.

Just because something is "natural or herbal or home remedy" doesn't necessarily make it any safer than medication for breastfeeding. In some cases the herbal remedies can actually be more dangerous since they are not regulated and dosage is nearly impossible to calculate since the strength can vary so widely from source to source.

If it's allergies, if the allergy is to Local pollen then use local wildflower honey in your tea and that should help against that allergy. Unfortunately, if the allergy is to something like mold this time of year in some regions, honey isn't going to help. If my allergies cause me problems again, my research told me that an inhaled nasal corticosteroid would be better than the non-drowsy one a day allergy pills while breastfeeding. Problem with bad allergies, it can leave you open to getting infections that then need treatment by antibiotics, I don't want to be taking antibiotics every six weeks so ya gotta choose the lesser of the evils.

Good luck fighting it off whatever it is and if you need medicine, just check, you can probably request a variety that will be safe while breastfeeding, call infantrisk at (806)-352-2519.

Thanks for the advice ladies. I definitely will look into Kellymoms site. I was unaware about the infantrisk site, now I can reference back for safety. As far as my son, he doesn't have Strep. Just bad throat infection starting up. Good thing we caught it before it progressed. At night is when I'm feeling way worse. My eyes are watery my face hurts and I feel so congested and body aches at the end of the day. It just might be a darn cold. Ugh, I'm so upset. So let me get this straight some meds are okay to take while still breastfeeding? Do you have to pump and dump? This is really annoying me. I pray that my little one doesn't get sick.

actually there are some meds you can take and keep right on breastfeeding as normal.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tclynx View Post
    actually there are some meds you can take and keep right on breastfeeding as normal.
    a often there is absolutely no need to pump or dump! But if you have a question, call Infant Risk. They can tell you whether or not a given medication can be safely combined with nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"