Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allergies in Breastmilk

Default Allergies in Breastmilk

I have an 8 month old who has has severe problems breastfeeding ever since she was born. She would always eat very small amounts very often--eating about 20x a day.

Around six weeks she refused to eat at all. She would fight and fight eating. Maybe sucking for a minute, or from a bottle just a few sips. Once she went for 8 hours and she had to be given an IV for dehydration. That night I learned that if I pumped, she would take a bottle in her sleep.

So ever since 6 weeks. I try to breastfeed her she drinks a little bit,I then pump and then I have to fight to get her to sleep and give her the rest in her sleep. We co-sleep so she suckles at nighttime. It takes about an hour to feed her.

When she eats, I can hear all sorts of weird noises in her belly, like bubbles.

I am off dairy, eggs, wheat, fish, peanuts, beef, soy, and corn.

Because her weight is good, I feel like doctors dismiss my concerns. We do have an endoscopy scheduled for the end of this month to see how her white blood cell count in her throat is. (allergy related)

Her weight is good because I feed her while she asleep!

I am exhausted, I feel like at 8 months I still have a newborn and I really do not want to give up on breastfeeding.

I used to think it was silent reflux, but now i am thinking maybe it is allergies. Does anyone have any advice? Any moms with similar experiences? Allergy testing on baby under one?

Thank you in advance! Im exhausted and could use all the words of wisdom you might be able to offer.

Default Re: Allergies in Breastmilk

How did you go about eliminating all those thing from your diet?

If eliminating something didn't make it better, then you should be able to add that back into your diet.

Has she been checked for tongue/lip ties? (difficulty with latch, sucking air, etc can cause reflux like problems in some babies.)

with Tclynx. If an elimination diet hasn't changed things, try adding foods back into your diet. You need to build your own resilience as you cope with what is going on with your child, and a diet of water and air can make that harder.

What you describe doesn't sound like allergies. With allergies, you'd be seeing things like eczema, rashes, wheezing, asthma, green, mucousy, and/or blood-streaked poop, and perhaps poor weight gain. I would put my money on reflux, if I had to choose one possibility, since reflux babies tend to be the ones who are reluctant to feed.

I doubt the bubbles mean anything- growly tummies are normal for young babies.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have been off dairy and fish for about 4 months. I could tell immediately that those were causing problems! Just about two weeks ago I went off all of the others in hopes of figuring things out before we had to resort to an endoscopy. I'm pretty nervous about putting her under

She has had lip and tongue tie procedure done twice.

mommal-yes! I have noticed that she does not have rashes or anything. The doctor suggested she might have ee--allergy reactions happen inside the body rather than outside, that is why the are pushing for an endoscopy.

Shouldn't reflux be resolved by now? My ped said she should have grown out if it by now.

She definitely is reluctant to feed.

As for my diet. Yes, I miss food... a lot. I think ever since her IV episode, I am terrified of eating something that will hurt her.

I have had a couple doctors tell me to stop breastfeeding, but I feel like I have worked so hard and that it is a bond I do not want to give up on.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elisabethtara View Post
    mommal-yes! I have noticed that she does not have rashes or anything. The doctor suggested she might have ee--allergy reactions happen inside the body rather than outside, that is why the are pushing for an endoscopy.

Shouldn't reflux be resolved by now? My ped said she should have grown out if it by now.

She definitely is reluctant to feed.

As for my diet. Yes, I miss food... a lot. I think ever since her IV episode, I am terrified of eating something that will hurt her.

I have had a couple doctors tell me to stop breastfeeding, but I feel like I have worked so hard and that it is a bond I do not want to give up on.
    Was she on any medications for the reflux?

If allergies really are the problem, then it would likely only get worse with formula.
    If allergies are not the problem, then it would probably NOT get better with formula.

The doctor suggested she might have ee--allergy reactions happen inside the body rather than outside, that is why the are pushing for an endoscopy.
    Interesting, I didn't know it could work that way. I still wonder how a baby could have none of the external symptoms of allergy, though!

Now this I don't buy. I know a kid who needed to be on reflux meds until around a year of age. And there are adults with reflux- shouldn't they have grown out of it?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We just got back to from the ped. He has some interesting thoughts. He too said that he didn't think it was allergies since there were no other symptoms. He also said to stop feeding her in her sleep for two weeks and see if she continues to grow. He said that sometimes babies do not like eating because they have had bad experiences with it. Such as bad reflux in the past or her tongue and lip procedures.

He said go ahead with the endoscopy because allergies could be a possibility.

I am so happy to report that he said to continue with breastfeeding!

Good luck with this, mama--I have a local mama friend whose son was recently diagnosed with EE, and his ONLY symptoms were poor weight gain and refusal to eat. They are still working out all of his allergies at this point.

My limited understanding is that poor weight gain almost always goes along with that diagnosis, though. So I'm hoping you've got nothing to worry about!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!