Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Change in Feeding Patterns

Default Change in Feeding Patterns

I'm EBF my 11 week old daughter (on demand) who is gaining well and producing plenty of diapers, but her feeding pattern/behaviors have changed pretty dramatically the past few days. She typically eats every 2 hours during the day for 10-15 minutes each session, with some longer and shorter exceptions. Since Monday, she's only been eating for 5-7 minutes, with the exception of late night and early morning feeds. She ends the session by suddenly pushing off the breast, arching her back and screaming if I try to put her back on. I've also tried offering the other breast, which she refuses. Once I stop encouraging her to latch back on, she's perfectly happy. The only other change in behavior is that since this has started, she has only been napping for 30 minutes at a time. I'm trying to remain relaxed, accept that if she's not eating enough she'll let me know, and monitor her diaper output, but obviously this change is worrying. This has happened for a few times before, but just for a day, and then she's gone back to her typical 10-15 minute feedings.

Any thoughts? Should I be offering more frequently/less frequently? I've heard that babies get more efficient as they grow, but this seems really sudden for that. My secondary concern is if it will impact my supply (i.e. if she has several short feeding sessions in a row, will my supply drop?). Should I be pumping to maintain supply?

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!

Default Re: Change in Feeding Patterns

A couple of ideas...

Have you changed your diet?
    Have bowel movements changed?
    Did you recently start or stop medication? Birth control? "Any hormonal birth control may cause fussiness in the baby (not reported in the literature but often anecdotally by mothers). This may be due to the hormones causing a minimal decrease in the protein/nitrogen/lactose content of the milk. Some mothers have reported marked improvement in their baby’s degree of fussiness once they come off hormonal birth control." from http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf.../birthcontrol/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.mia View Post
    A couple of ideas...

Have you changed your diet?
    Have bowel movements changed?
    Did you recently start or stop medication? Birth control? "Any hormonal birth control may cause fussiness in the baby (not reported in the literature but often anecdotally by mothers). This may be due to the hormones causing a minimal decrease in the protein/nitrogen/lactose content of the milk. Some mothers have reported marked improvement in their baby’s degree of fussiness once they come off hormonal birth control." from http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf.../birthcontrol/
    Thanks for your ideas! No diet change, and her bms are the same as always. I started taking the mini-pill about 2 1/2 weeks ago - Would it take that long to see an effect from the hormones?

I wouldn't worry as long as her diaper output stays on track. Don't worry about "snacking" messing up your supply- snacking is actually the normal eating pattern for a breastfed baby.

If you're concerned about the mini-pill, you could always stop taking it and see if things change. If they do, then maybe the mini-pill isn't a good option for you. If not, then you just go back to taking it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for your reassurance! I guess I was just worried since it didn't seem like snacking because she's eating at the same intervals (around every 2 hours) but for a much shorter time. Maybe she's coming off a growth spurt and the longer feed times were actually more out of the norm than the short ones. In any case, she seemed to be evening out yesterday afternoon and this morning to around 8-10 minutes a feed.

Listen for swallowing and if you can get your hands on a good baby scale for a short time you could take to weighing before and after feedings for a bit to see if she is actually just getting that much more efficient at feeding.

My LO (now 5 months) sometimes manages to eat quite a lot fairly quickly and other times will spend an hour nursing (often sleeping too) without getting much at all. This has of course been very hard for me to deal with as I have also had problems with low supply so it is hard for me to tell sometimes if he is fussing because he didn't get enough and I'm not flowing fast enough for him or he is fussing because he actually got enough and he isn't hungry anymore so I went and got a scale to help me sort it out.

However, provided her diaper output is good you can probably just check to make sure the mini pill isn't causing you problems and not worry too much about it (you can always go in to the Ped office for a weight check if you are worried though.)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ccb52914 View Post
    Thanks for your ideas! No diet change, and her bms are the same as always. I started taking the mini-pill about 2 1/2 weeks ago - Would it take that long to see an effect from the hormones?
    Many mothers have reported an improvement in their baby's temperament when they go off hormonal birth control.

Thanks for everyone's input! She seems to be back to normal now, so I guess it was just one of those baby mysteries