Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New born 1 week old having trouble latching on

Default New born 1 week old having trouble latching on

I have a 1 week old and for the past three days I have fought him to latch on. My breast are full but my nipples are small and hard for him to get any milk out. I use a nipple shield and he was not having that and was refusin it. I went to a LC and he done just fine latching on. When i get home it is a different world. I see the feeding cues. I try to feed him but he gets mad and throws his head back and starts screaming at the top of his lungs. I feel so bad that I feel like I am forcing him to eat.

I broke down and gave him some formula this morning. And I also pumped some milk for him and gave that to him. I am to the point of no return. It really stressful and heartbreaking. I want the best for my little man.

Default Re: New born 1 week old having trouble latching on

Hi anorton. Your baby is very young. It can take time for mom and baby to figure out nursing.
    How is babies output (poops?) has baby started regaining weight (newborns typically lose weight at first) is it possible baby is nursing enough?

if baby is truly unable to nurse, you will need to hand express and/or pump frequently anyway while you work the problem. You can give your baby your milk rather than formula assuming you are able to extract enough.
    Feedings at this age are very small and frequent. 1 or 2 ounces at a time for a supplement is probably where you want to start.
    Babies this age typically nurse a minimum of 12 times in 24 hours. But this is not usually on any set pattern.
    Many babies have difficulty latching if they are upset. Try to bring baby to the breast at the earliest cues or before any cues, so baby is calm. or calm baby prior to nursing.
    What positions did the LC show you? What have you tried? What latch ideas did the LC show you? What have you tried? Sometimes something that did not work before starts to work, and vice versa.
    If your own efforts do not improve the situation soon, get more help. If a baby can not latch and nurse there is a reason, which means there is a solution.
    Mothers of all shapes and sizes nurse babies of all shapes and sizes. Unless there is highly unusual anatomical issues, your anatomy is probably not the problem.
    However, being engorged or very full can make it much harder for a baby to latch. In that case you can try reverse pressure softening and/or hand expressing a little milk prior to nursing.

He is pooping almost every diaper change. He is definitely not nursing 12 times in a 24 he preiod. When i seen the LC she said to feed him when he's hungry. I asked if I need to wake him every two hours feed and she said no he will wake when he is ready. When i let him sleep that's when he wakes up starving. I am going to try to pump when he needs to be up eating. We will see how that goes!

Ok. If baby is pooping a ton, that is a good sign baby is getting enough milk. You can be sure about this by looking at weight gain and seeing if it is normal.

I am sorry if what I said about nursing frequency was confusing. Yes, 12 is the typical minimum. But some babies nurse less than that and gain fine. However, if baby is NOT gaining fine, or mom needs baby to nurse more frequently because she is getting so full, it is perfectly fine to wake baby as needed or pick sleeping baby up and gently encourage baby to nurse. Many babies can and do nurse right in their sleep. Also, what frequency a baby nurses week one will probably change. Babies often start nursing more often after week one or two.

The only reason to pump would be if you have low milk production or if baby truly cannot nurse or get enough milk by nursing! Otherwise you probably want to avoid pumping if you can, as pumping too much or so early can cause many breastfeeding issues.

When i let him sleep that's when he wakes up starving.
    I think this is at least part of your answer here. Don't you think? Baby is sleeping long stretches and waking up frantic and OVERLY hungry. You want baby to only be a little hungry. Babies also nurse for comfort and that is an important part of normal nursing as well.
    So, why not encourage baby to not sleep so long. You do this by holding baby while baby sleeps and/or picking baby up while baby is sleeping, at least part of the time. Then baby is right there on the breast and ready to go even before he is fully awake. Calmer baby, hopefully, easier for baby to latch. Also try to avoid swaddling, pacifiers and baby sleeping in another room as much as possible. All may artificially lengthen an infant's sleep stretch.

This video shows laid back nursing, but it also demonstrates nicely how baby can cue in sleep. turn sound on so you hear the commentary: http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html

Hope this helps. Also, congratulations on dear baby.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; August 12th, 2014 at 02:09 PM.

Ooops, I should have said that if mom is engorged and mom cannot get baby to nurse enough to prevent this, that is another time pumping a little bit of milk at a time in order to relieve engorgement can be helpful.

Hang in there Momma! The first weeks are really hard.

Meg posted lots of good links.
    Here is another resource with lots of good information sheets
    http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...id=5&Itemid=17

and the one specifically dealing with difficulty getting baby to latch and alternatives to bottles.
    http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54:wh en-baby-does-not-yet-latch&catid=5&Itemid=17