Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DESPARATE! nursing over 9 weeks and still getting milk blebs

Default DESPARATE! nursing over 9 weeks and still getting milk blebs

i am currently on my third time getting a white spot on nipple of my left breast. it is in the same spot as the other two times. is this a milk bleb or a plugged nipple pore? what am i doing wrong that i keep getting these? it is so painful to nurse my lo. i have been placed on diflucan the past two times and they went away. ive tried to soak and hand express to get it to unclog with no success.i notice that after nursing or pumping that it tends to be more pronounced(bulge out a little) but by the time i nurse or pump again it has gone down(my nipple looks normal except a white dot). ive been taking lacithin and probiotics otc. ive tried eatting better cutting stuff outta my diet, but i still maybe eatting what i shouldnt?
    -is there a deeper cause like thrush or bacterial infection going on?
    -it has been back 5 days now and i seem to be having noticable constant pain that is not extremely bad but more aggravating than anything. i dont even notice my right side unless i feel a let down.
    -im just at my witts end trying to enjoy such a bonding experience with my lo since this will be my last child. i had less times to nurse my lo yesterday and it made me very sad so i am just needing some help so i dont give up.
    thanks in advance for all the help. i know i seem like im having alot of issues and its like once i get done with one, here comes another.
    trying to stay positive
    Last edited by @llli*sailorscout27; August 12th, 2014 at 12:09 PM.

Default Re: DESPARATE! nursing over 9 weeks and still getting milk b

Since the whitened area is bulging out after nursing, it sounds more like a bleb than a plugged nipple pore. IMO, the most likely explanation for repeat blebs in the same location is that baby's latch is still not perfect. And most likely this is due to the fact that 9 week old babies are still very tiny and have tiny mouths.

Try varying your baby's nursing position, and if the bleb is not breaking on its own, don't be afraid to do it yourself, using a sterile needle. My guess is that time will take care of this problem, because both of my girls caused fewer blebs as time went on and their mouths grew.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with mommal about latch. i'm pretty sure a bleb and a plugged pore are the same thing? no? help.

Some moms get friction blisters, which are different.

yes Have you ever lifted the skin over the plug with a sterilized needle (or had this done by someone) this is often called lancing but the idea is to lift the skin rather than poke the plug. See link for more on that and other bleb/plug ideas

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf

if you have any doubt about it being a bleb, what about seeing a dermatologist or an ibclc to rule out a bacterial infection or other skin condition?

Diflucan treats thrush, not plugs. So, someone must think it is thrush although it does not particularly sound like it to me. interesting it seems to help though! maybe the two things are connected- thrush is leading to wonky nursing. leading to bleb?

If you have thrush, baby must be treated as well or the thrush will reoccur.

How much pumping are you doing? Any chance this is a pumping injury?
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; August 12th, 2014 at 01:15 PM.

i'm pretty sure a bleb and a plugged pore are the same thing? no? help.
    I think they are 2 discrete, albeit very similar, problems. A blister/bleb most definitely involves overgrowth of skin over the nipple pore, and that can plug the pore. But a plugged pore can form in a different way, when the pore is not overgrown by skin but is blocked by something in the pore itself, like hardened milk. You know when moms talk about being able to squeeze out squiggles of toothpaste-like stuff from a plugged pore? That sort of stuff.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I have been to my ob doc 2 times and the LC twice. both don't know what to think. what is an ibclc?
    she mentioned last visit that my nipple tissue looked normal and that it looked like milk stuck in the pore. we also tried the sterile needle trying to lift the skin but didn't work. she mentioned maybe he has lip tie but wasn't sure. I told my husband but he refuses to let them cut it if that's the issue
    today I noticed that im getting less milk on that side and I felt like I was starting to back up like getting a plugged duct up in my arm it was very painful and the milk wouldn't drain out using the hospital grade pump at work. when I got home I nursed him while he laid on his back and left him feed while my breast dangled so gravity would help. I noticed he got more milk out than the pumping sessions. but the white dot is still there. I have been using hot compresses, hot showers, trying to hand express. I don't wanna give up but I am feeling real defeated.

Oh ok, thanks mommal, that makes sense.

An IBCLC is an international board certified lactation consultant who has the training and clinical expertise to assess (and hopefully solve) lactation issues. This is who you see for lactation issues that need 'diagnosis' and a plan. Certainly this is who you want to see if the situation is so severe you are thinking about stopping nursing.

I strongly suggest keep trying the ideas for dealing with plugs as you are, and have breastfeeding assessed again or by someone else, if you can. Plugs can be difficult to deal with especially when they are painful. but this is rarely an unsolvable issue. kellymom.com has a good article on recurring plugs you may have seen already?

oh ok. I thought the LC I was an ibclc but im gonna check
    yes I went on kellymom through a link you have sent me before because this isn't the first time ive posted about this issue.
    that is where ive read about over upply and lip tie being a culprit amoungst other things. I guess my next question is, is it worse to keep letting him nurse and help maybe unclogging the situation and/or causing this to keep happening or just go to eping? for the time being and maybe have him checked for lip tie. I don't wanna do more harm than good to my body. meaning keep getting these blocked pores/blebs. but if it isn't harmful to me or baby then I guess its something I have to deal with. I just really wanted to enjoy my breastfeeding time. when the bleb/blocked pore is gone, we have such a beautiful time. I have been upset this whole evening. my husband doesn't want me to stop pumping, but thinks I may need to give up nursing him. I don't know what to do.
    but I will continue to figure out what is wrong, why I keep getting these pesky, painful blocked pores

If the pump and baby are not able to suck out the plug, Maybe your husband can help?

As to the lip tie, If your LO has a bad lip tie and your husband isn't supportive of getting it corrected, let him know that lip ties can cause problems with front teeth and speech later so it is better to get lip and tongue ties corrected now as an infant rather than waiting till it becomes "surgery" to get it fixed. Might still require some physical therapy after. However if you are not experiencing pain except when you have the blebs, then it gets hard to tell if there is a tie causing issues but if the top lip doesn't flange out then there is a chance that a lip tie could cause dental problems later.

I'd say don't give up! And EPing is so hard I know I personally wouldn't be able to do it. (Well physically I wouldn't keep up since I don't respond well to the pump even if I was hooked to the thing 12 hours a day.) I can't really say though about injury from blebs since I've never experienced them myself and I don't know what they feel like to you or if the pain you are experiencing is indicating further injury or if it is just the pain of trying to get milk past the blockage?
    Good Luck finding a solution.

I guess my next question is, is it worse to keep letting him nurse and help maybe unclogging the situation and/or causing this to keep happening or just go to eping?
    Definitely stick with nursing. There is every reason to believe that this problem with plugs will eventually get better, as the baby's mouth grows, and nursing in general tends to get better and better. Pumping, on the other hand, never gets any easier or more fun. It's harder to maintain your supply through pumping alone. You have to spend huge amounts of time expressing, storing, warming, transporting, and feeding the milk. If you nurse, your baby's food is always fresh, immediately available, and at the right temperature. Nursing in public is relatively easy, but pumping in public is hard (imagine trying to find a clean, private place with an outlet and a chair and a place to put your baby when you're out in public!). Nursing promotes good jaw development and dental alignment- so nursing now may save you $$$ on orthodontics later. Finally, nursing is your all-purpose mothering tool. Baby is tired, sick, cranky, hurt? Nurse, and the problem is solved without you having to worry that you have overfed your baby just to get him quiet.

I totally get your concern about the plugs. I had a zillion of them- especially with lip-tied baby #1- and they can be nasty. But for me they were more than worth putting up with in order to keep nursing. And they did diminish with time! I had a lot in the first 6 months, but relatively few thereafter.

I strongly recommend that you look into dealing with the lip tie now. As Tclynx said, lip ties do have the potential to cause problems down the road. In fact, one such problem is how I finally figured out that my now 8 year-old was lip-tied, something which had caused no end of problems when she was a baby. She has a fairly wide gap between her front teeth, and the dentist noticed and said "Oh, if it stays problematic we'll just cut it." Which of course is totally scary to her- someone cutting something in her mouth! I just wish we'd had it done when she was a baby. It would have spared us both a lot of misery!

. my husband doesn't want me to stop pumping, but thinks I may need to give up nursing him.
    Often, when men are confronted with a problem they move into problem-solving mode. Because he doesn't realize is how hard EP is and how rewarding nursing can be, he sees an easy solution to this issue: you quit nursing and move to EP. There, problem solved!

If you want to shut down the problem-solving suggestions and move your DH into emotional support mode, you probably have to be explicit. Tell your DH that what you really need is not his input on what you should do. You need to be told that you are a great mom, that you are doing the absolute best for your child, that things will get better.

thanks so much for all the advice. i will keep trying. does any one know how much lecithin to take and if i can take it the whole time im bf?
    i have tried nursing above him with my breast dangle to let gravity help and have now tried the football hold again. when he was smaller he didnt like it but tolerated it better this time around. as for the husband advice. let him try to get it out...should i let baby nurse and then him try?