Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 1/2 week old not up to birth weight yet

Default Re: 3 1/2 week old not up to birth weight yet

Have you tried nursing her as soon as she wakes up? If she's been asleep already, maybe she'll be more likely to stay awake to eat, rather than fall asleep after 3-5 mins of nursing? Something to try if you aren't already on a sleep - eat- play schedule.

Also for peace of mind, my DD weighed 8 lbs 1.5 oz at birth, and I just checked the back of her drs appt cards and she STILL wasn't back up to BW at her 4 week check up (she weighed in at 8 lbs .5 oz). She's now 2.5 and doing fine. You'll figure it out!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bugout69 View Post
    I do have to work with her on her latch most of the time. She tends to get very sleepy when nursing. And does not do the typical 20-30 minutes of straight nursing. After 3-5 minutes she is asleep. So sometimes she seems to snack instead. In order to get a 'good' feed I really have to work with her.
    How do you "work with her" to get her to have a good feed?
    Are you doing Breast compressions?
    I know my LO had a tongue tie problem and was having trouble transferring milk and he was a sleepy baby, seemed he would go to sleep as soon as latched on but he would keep sucking to some extent usually. I could usually get him to latch on even in his sleep though he wouldn't always keep sucking as much. I was using an at the breast supplementer, lactation aid thing to supplement him.

She does not take a pacifier nor is she swaddled at night. She sleeps in our room, but on her own.
    This is good.

As far as the types poops do they matter? Her poops are not very seedy, but are yellow/brown in color.
    Yes, they can matter quite a lot. If your baby was having lots of bright yellow, seedy stool, that would be an indication that she was getting plenty to eat. Poops that are more brownish/greenish and largely soaking into the diaper rather than sitting on the surface can indicate that baby is having trouble getting enough to eat. White, red, or black poops could be an indication of medical problems independent of breastfeeding.

My guess is that the problem here is the extreme sleepiness. It's hard to get enough to eat when you doze off at the beginning of every meal, right? If baby is still jaundiced, it would be a really good idea to take her outside every day, and park her in some bright sunlight. UV light breaks down the bilirubin. I would also encourage as many feedings per day as possible. If she nurses for 5 minutes, that's still better than not nursing. Also, some tips for sleepy babies:
    - When it's time to nurse, turn down the lights. New babies often close their eyes in response to bright light.
    - Annoy her. When she is falling asleep, tickle the soles of her feet or rub against the grain of her hair with your hand or a cool damp washcloth.
    - Keep her cool. When it's time to nurse, strip her down to a single light layer, and keep a fan blowing in the room (not directly on baby). A cool baby may be more alert than a warm one.
    - Do breast compressions.
    - Try switch nursing. When nursing slows and baby seems to be dozing off, take her off the breast, burp her or change her diaper to wake her up, and put her back on the other side. Repeat the process until she will no longer wake. Switch nursing is supposed to teach a baby that the breast is for eating, not napping.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I 'work' with her by doing breast compressions and switch nursing.

I am starting to wonder how I should pursue this. As far as I can tell her latch is okay, but maybe I should meet with a lactation consultant just in case and then go from there.

Honestly, this whole thing scares me because I am afraid something is wrong with her. The reason my anxiety is so high is because last year we lost our newborn son to a birth defect. Ever since then I am scared something will happen to my children and now the baby.

I 'work' with her by doing breast compressions and switch nursing.

I am starting to wonder how I should pursue this. As far as I can tell her latch is okay, but maybe I should meet with a lactation consultant just in case and then go from there.

Honestly, this whole thing scares me because I am afraid something is wrong with her. The reason my anxiety is so high is because last year we lost our newborn son to a birth defect. Ever since then I am scared something will happen to my children and now the baby.
    By all means, seeing a LC, especially an IBCLC is a good idea for help with any sort of nursing/weight gain issues.

Yes. See the LC, preferably the IBCLC.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"