Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing on demand? provide enough fore and hind milk?

Default nursing on demand? provide enough fore and hind milk?

Does nursing on demand provide adequate fore and hind milk?

Ex) my little girl nurses sometimes just minutes (3-5) at a time.

Default Re: nursing on demand? provide enough fore and hind milk?

How old is your baby? About how many times does she nurse in 24 hours?

Generally, you don't need to worry about foremilk and hindmilk. Most of the milk is produced while baby is actively nursing and will have the fat content that your baby needs.

Very short feedings are common in babies over 4 months or so, since they get really efficient at nursing. For younger babies, it usually takes them longer, but occasional short feedings are okay if they're nursing frequently.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...milk-hindmilk/
    This article explains foremilk/hindmilk really well. It's really nothing to worry about. As long as baby receives an adequate overall amount of breastmilk, no special consideration needs to be given to fat content. My youngest son has been a quick feeder since birth but also nurses VERY frequently. Like every half an hour to hour during the day.

if you like, you can see my rant about foremilk/hindmilk misinformation here: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...m-green-stools post 4
    I agree with all pps. The issue is if baby is whether or not baby getting ENOUGH milk overall to gain normally, and that, for good milk production, baby nurses with normal frequency and that the breast is softened after a feeding (assuming breast feels full before feeding-it may not/ It is not necessary to 'empty' the breasts, but basically you just want to know that milk is removed efficiently and often enough) Also, that both mom and baby are enjoying nursing. If all those are happening, all is probably fine. Frequent nursing is the norm in the newborn period.