Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Active 8 month old just won't settle down to nurse!

Default Active 8 month old just won't settle down to nurse!

Okay so our newest challenge is...

Settling down to actually nurse a very curious and high energy 8 month old who wants to keep up with big sister. :-/ I'm already down to only nursing before naps and at bed time as it is! NOW she's so wired during the day, that bringing her back into her room for a nap is a fight (we do soft music and dark room). I go to nurse her and she fights me to go back out of the room and play again even though she's rubbing her eyes and yawning. I have to literally put her in her crib for a few minutes until she calms down and gets the hint that it's nap time, THEN try to nurse and that's how she finally nurses. Is this normal?? Anyone else have to do something similar to get baby to calm in order to nurse? ::frustrated and starting to lose hope with our nursing relationship::
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

Nursed DD1 for 28 months and am now nursing DD2 going on 8 months!

Default Re: Active 8 month old just won't settle down to nurse!

Oh, that sounds exhausting! It's pretty common for babies that age to get less patient with stopping to nurse, though of course not every baby is quite as high-energy as yours is.

It sounds like you're doing a great job finding techniques that work, but I can imagine how frustrating it is. I found a couple articles that sound a bit like your situation; maybe there are some other ideas in there that could help:

Too Busy to Breastfeed - Breastfeeding Today

The Distractible Baby - Kellymom

And here's another Forums thread from a mom who was having the same sort of problem:

Too distracted to nurse

One thing to keep in mind is that with babies, everything is temporary! This isn't necessarily how it's going to be from now on... In a month or two it could all be different. Hang in there!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--