Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Great poo mystery: Mucus-y, blood & green poop

Question Great poo mystery: Mucus-y, blood & green poop

My baby girl just turned 5 months today and is EBF. I went back to work about a month ago, so she is getting a few bottles of previously frozen milk during the week (though I often work from home so we skip bottles on those days). In the past few weeks, she has had some blood in her stool and I have noticed it is extra stringy. She is also drooling like crazy and it looks as though she is getting a tooth on her lower right side. She was born 3 weeks early, gaining weight & nursing well. Generally she is very happy, except at night when she has started crying and resisting bedtime. She does wake up a bunch during the night to feed (usually 3-4 times, but 2 of those will be "full" feeds vs 2 "light" feeds).

Two weeks ago she had a few bright red globs in her stool and I called the doctor. She immediately told me to cut out dairy and soy (I don't eat soy.. and I also eat little to no wheat). Now it seems the blood is a tad more regular - it went from one bloody poo to another a week later, then two days later (did this for a few cycles), and now at least one diaper a day has some small amount of blood in it. There hasn't been nearly as much blood as that first time. I'm feeling a little frustrated and concerned because I have read that milk protein allergies are relatively uncommon. We went back to the doctor this week, and they suggested I continue avoiding dairy & soy, and also wheat. They've ordered a culture to see if she has a parasite.

She has had a lot of green poos, but I chalked that up to me eating a lot of salad/greens/etc. in the past. Now that I'm doing the poo cultures I realize just how stringy her poo is. Other than the blood in her stool, she shows zero other symptoms of allergy -- she doesn't spit up much, no rash, etc.

What can I do?? Please help!
    Last edited by @llli*abeansmom; August 9th, 2014 at 09:59 PM.

Default Re: Great poo mystery: Mucus-y, blood & green poop

All I can suggest is sometimes blood just happens, goes away on its own, and is not really caused by anything that is every known.
    Since it started after your return to work, I would only suggest making sure your caregiver is feeding bottles appropriately (small amounts, frequently, paced bottle feeding) and only of your milk!
    I think drool is way more irritating for some babies than others. My oldest got horrid rashes from drool, both from drooly poop and drool gathering around his neck! It can certainly make poops look different. Would it make a poop bloody? I do not know, but it seems to me it might cause enough irritation to do that.
    More frequent night nursing is very typical after mom returns to work and, of course, when teething.

I know from your other post you are aware of the academy of breastfeeding medicine's allergy protocol. I hope you found that helpful.

Aside from some blood in her poop, is she generally happy, healthy, and gaining weight at a normal pace?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Aside from some blood in her poop, is she generally happy, healthy, and gaining weight at a normal pace?
    Yep! She is her happy self, gaining weight nicely (born at 5 lb 13 oz, 20 days early.. now weighs 14.8lbs).

In that case, I think it's something to watch but not something to worry about. And when you get to 6 months and start introducing solids, offer some iron-rich solids to counteract the affects of blood loos, and go really slow and carefully, particularly with highly allergenic foods. It's possible your baby does have an allergy to something you're eating, and that she will have a reaction if she eats that substance herself. But it seems pretty clear that whatever that hypothetical substance would be, it's not soy, wheat, or dairy. And because your baby is otherwise happy, healthy, and growing normally, I don't see any need to drive yourself nuts trying to track down what, if any allergen, is to blame for there bloody poops.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    In that case, I think it's something to watch but not something to worry about. And when you get to 6 months and start introducing solids, offer some iron-rich solids to counteract the affects of blood loos, and go really slow and carefully, particularly with highly allergenic foods. It's possible your baby does have an allergy to something you're eating, and that she will have a reaction if she eats that substance herself. But it seems pretty clear that whatever that hypothetical substance would be, it's not soy, wheat, or dairy. And because your baby is otherwise happy, healthy, and growing normally, I don't see any need to drive yourself nuts trying to track down what, if any allergen, is to blame for there bloody poops.
    Thank you so much for your words. I've been driving myself crazy with worry, trying to cut out food.