Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply, dairy allergy, iron in my diet?

Default Oversupply, dairy allergy, iron in my diet?

Hi,

I have an almost 4 month old who's been struggling with his digestion from birth I guess. Let me go into some detail and maybe you can help me try and figure this thing out.

So, from the start I had/have an oversupply issue. In the beginning poops were often projectile and explosive, mostly orange colored. At some point I thought maybe my baby has a dairy allergy so i stopped eating anything with milk for a while (well, except where it said it may contain traces of milk). I saw no improvement, plus he didn't have a lot of the other simptoms (for example the skin on his bottom is immaculate even though we don't change diapers overnight). Anyway, I brought the dairy back and it seemed to show no difference - he was still gassy and had mostly explosive poops. Our pediatrician prescribed mylicon (didn't do a thing for him) and BioGaia probiotics (same thing, although I feel these maybe are more trouble than help now). He also takes vitamin D drops, this is common practice in my country.

Time passes, we see no significant progress. He's difficult to burp, always has been, and would always go mad if I try to burp him in the middle of a feeding. However, with my oversupply, I gues he takes in a lot of air so when he's finished, if I try to burp him, it takes a while (on his tummy is the easiest) and he spits up a lot - my guess is this is an air pocket being pushed down by a bunch of food so both come out. I block feed from when he was probably 1MO, I always offer the same breast for a feeding and sometimes I've done it for multiple hours to get my oversupply under control.

The past two weeks were as follows - two weeks ago we finally settled on same breast for two feedings - he was still super gassy but had textbook golden seedy stools. Sometime at that point I started taking prenatal vitamins and Omega 3 pills again, as I noticed I had a lot of bruises on my legs and thought it was a lack of iron or something (turns out it could be the culprit as my legs are better). In one of the yellow/orange stools, I saw a speck of blood (only once though) so a couple of days later I decided to cut out dairy again. However, the kiddo now has mostly green poops (before this, he'd have one maybe in week or two, these are consistent green poops), wattery, with little to no seedy content at all. He's still super gassy. I'm not sure if probiotics are doing him a favor either, because we've had pauses when we didn't give it to him and when we gave it again, he seemed gassier but it could just be a coincidence.

He sleeps terribly - we need to cary/rock/use hairdrier to get him to sleep. Every single time. He used to be able to fall asleep on the breast at least sometimes, but that doesn't happen anymore. During the day his naps are no longer than 45 minutes and most of the time he doesn't wake up rested (because he obviously doesn't get enough sleep) and there's no way to really help him ease into the next cycle as shooshing and patting were never a way of putting him to sleep and even th breast gives us only maybe 15ish minutes of his eyes closed until he's awake and crying. At night he wakes often and the only way to calm him is to offer the breast - this can be a problem as it creates more tummy issues for him and more milk for me which again leads to more tummy issues. The sleep issues could be partly due to tummy issues (or so it seems), but partly because he doesn't know how to soothe himself. His dad was also a bad sleeper as an infant so I guess I'm doomed here, although I would like a light at the end of the tunnel - not having to carry him for hours each day until he settles and falls asleep. Or at least not having him cry before naptime/sleeptime so much and him fighting it. And yes, I've tried calming everything down about half an hour before naptime/bedtime... Yeah, no, it doesn't work. Unfortunatelly, he won't even nurse for comfort either.

I digress - he's gaining well, he doubled his birthweight at 3 months and is happy when awake for the most part - unless there's a stuck burp or he's getting tired. I think most of the sleep issues are due to his character and us not knowing any better way to get him to sleep so it's exhausting for all of us. But I'm still worried by his digestion, I'm going to keep eating dairy free for another week or two but I don't expect anything to happen there really and the fact that he now has consistently green seedles poops is a bit strange. I know it's a sign of oversupply but his "oversupply" poops were always orange. He has at least 5 poopy diapers a day and I help him out by massaging/bicycling his legs at least in the morning when he's gassiest (he doesn't pass a lot of it during the night).

Before anyone suggests seeing our pediatrician - unfortunatelly she's useless and offers bad advice (starting solids at 4MO) and we can't switch until he's a year old.

Any advice?
    Last edited by @llli*stpdlngnm; August 9th, 2014 at 10:54 AM.

Default Re: Oversupply, dairy allergy, iron in my diet?

Do you think the issue is primarily your overproduction? Do you have symptoms your self (engorgement for example?)
    I do not believe in uniform sleep/wake/play cycles or happiest baby on the block shushing and patting etc These things work for some babies and not others.
    I also disagree that nursing baby as much as baby would like is going to worsen the digestive issues. Frequent eating is usually helpful for all digestive issues, as the end result of frequent meals will be smaller meals.

If you want to explore block feeding further as a technique to lower milk production, look up the blog post "block feeding dos and donts" by Nancy mohrbacher.
    And I suggest the new LLL book Sweet Sleep for sleep issues.

For a good allergy resource , look up the academy of breastfeeding medicine and look at the protocol for allergic proctocolitis in the breastfed infant.

Here is a link to the allergy resource mentioned above http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...ish_120211.pdf

Green Poop on it's own is not a problem.
    The gas pain may be a problem but it is also normal for babies to have a lot of gas.

Another thing to consider in a 4 month old, teething.

Is the sleep thing new or since birth? Only the 4 month mark is notorious for the '4 month fussies' we went from a bad sleeper to a screaming banshee for about 3 weeks while we sang/rocked/patted/slinged and took it in turns so we could tear our hair out and then she settled again. A 45 minute nap isn't abnormal!

This was all without gas so it may be that there is more than one thing going on!

Oh and seeds in poo often stop by 4 months so that isn't a worry either!