Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: consulted with LC

Default consulted with LC

As u guys suggested i was feeding him every two hours to regulate my supply.. i had an appointment with LC yesterday. she suggested to do demand feeding for his age.. he is 2.5 months old. if i feed him every two hours it would simulate more and i would produce even more. is that true? pl help.. LC suggested to take lecithin.. which one works best? there are different varieties of it.
    Last edited by @llli*nivilovely; August 9th, 2014 at 07:55 AM. Reason: forgot to add points

Default Re: consulted with LC

Hi nivlovely. I am glad you saw an IBCLC. Do you still have the plug? Did she examine that specifically?

IIRC, your question for the forum was about how to help you handle overproduction, engorgement and plugs. Increasing nursing frequency is a typical and accepted strategy for helping with these types of issues. I do not know about you being given a specific feeding schedule, but I do not see anything amiss with encouraging baby to nurse more often when a mom is experiencing plugs and engorgement. What was the IBCLC's concern?

'Demand feeding' is of course what is appropriate at any age, assuming normal gain (if gain is too slow, a baby may need to be encouraged to nurse more often) and mom is not getting engorged or experiencing plugs or other issues that are exacerbated by less frequent milk removal. But I think many times people misunderstand what 'feeding on demand' means. This is why I personally do not use this term. "Demand" is a very strong word. If someone said "I feed my four year old only when he "demands" to be fed", you would probably think that was odd and that the poor child was being starved, right?

With a baby, "Demand feeding" means, nurse whenever your baby indicates they wish to nurse, and this can be a very subtle indication, and offer anytime you like. Sometimes a mom starts feeing full between sessions, and baby is distracted or something. No reason to not offer at that point, as an example. A child who is getting enough to eat is not going to take more from the breasts overall than they need. But if they nurse more often, there will be more frequent milk removal. So increasing the freguency of nursing is not going to cause more overproduction, as pumping on top of nursing might. Of course, if a mom is dealing with engorgement or plugs, sometimes pumping helps too.

I do not know of any differences between specific lecithins as far as how they work for plugs. But I will suggest, get something in pill form. The lecithin I took when I had plugs was in liquid form and it was like drinking thick motor oil. Blech.

On one of your other threads I posted several suggestions for plugs and links for more info: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...d-duct-or-lump

hi lllmeg thanks for the response. she examined my breast and she said she don't see any lump or plug or any infection. i told her i have overproduction(basically because of skipped feedings at night and little overproduction too) and he demands only every 3.5-4 hours single breast at a time. he takes lots of foremilk and he poops once a day which is runny mucusy and dark green.. she said it may mean some dairy allergy(but i don't think so because during his first month of life all his poops were seedy yellow and i was taking 4-5 glasses of milk daily.) once this oversupply popped in his poops became green. she said i shouldn't be alarmed if i see blood in her stools.
    if he has a good feeding at 12 o'clock (with full breast) if i encourage him to feed at 2' o clock.. he doesn't take much he just do some snacking. this is what happened yest he just transferred one ounce of milk.so LC told if u offer him like this he would just take foremilk. so she said i should offer on demand so that he would take full feeding with hind milk.(anyway he wont reach hind milk because of too much milk)

his birth weight was 8lb 11 ounces.. yesterday when LC weighed him he was 13lbs 11 ounces. he was born on may 15th. is this a right weight gain. i have infant weigh scale in home(i know each scale differs).when i fed him on demand like every 3.5 to 4 hours. he lost some 2 ounces in two days.. so i started to encourage him to feed often.

she said if i feed him every two hours it would simulate my breast more and i will produce more..i told her as u said baby will not drink more than what he could drink in 24 hours.. but she doesn't accept it.

but i am getting recurrent plugs because of missed feeding at night(he sleeps a five hour strech). so she suggested to take lecithin.. i saw two varieties soy lecithin and sunflower lecithin.. don't know what is best..

hi lllmeg thanks for the response. she examined my breast and she said she don't see any lump or plug or any infection.
    Great!
    i saw two varieties soy lecithin and sunflower lecithin.. don't know what is best..
    I don't think there is a "best." In my literature it just says lecithin. Some folks wish to avoid soy products so they would choose sunflower. Did she suggest any other diet changes?

What did the IBCLC (Was this a international board certified LC? ) say about the gain? 5 pounds in 3 months seems like a normal gain to me. In the first three months, weight gain is usually about a pound every two weeks, or two pounds a month. But since baby usually looses weight in the first week, and gain is sometimes a bit slow at first, this seems like normal gain to me. It does not indicate baby is getting too much milk or is increasing your milk production beyond what is normal.

I am only giving you information I get from The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple, and other evidence based resources. This is how I come by the information that a baby nursing more often will not increase production beyond what a baby needs. Making (if that is even possible) a baby nurse every two hours night and day is not the suggestion, at least, that is not what I suggest and if I said that previously, I apologize. "More frequent" means just that. More frequent than the frequency when there were issues. Enough frequency to help with the problem. You think your issues with plugs came from long stretches of not nursing. So, logically, the answer to that would be to nurse more often. But you have been trying it, so look at your situation- Have you found your overproduction issues of getting engorged & plugs getting better or worse since you started encouraging baby to nurse a bit more often? If that strategy was making thing worse for you, then you have your answer. Of course you can stop offering to nurse as often, and see what happens. Every mom and baby are different. There is no hard and fast "right" way to approach a particular breastfeeding issue. This is why at LLL we call it the "art" of breastfeeding.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; August 9th, 2014 at 10:33 AM.

hi llimeg my situation does get better. when i offered him every 2 hours(his frequency was every 3.5 hours) i felt less full, less engorged and he had one mustard color stool when i fed him every two hours. if i feed him on his pace breasts gets super full and his poops are so mucusy.
    yes, she told me avoid dairy products and soy products. yes, she is an international board certified LC. i know i am one of the reason for this supply not getting regulated i hand express to avoid feeling uncomfortable..
    my supply in the evening is less (it is enough for him) than during the day. so by night my breasts gets less full and like to empty it before he goes to sleep to avoid engorgement.. i think that is one the reason for too much supply.. i dont use pump but hand express a little more during the day..
    i am so screwed because of my less knowledge.

I don't think you are screwed up and I also think the hand expressing when needed is fine.
    For some moms it takes longer than average for production to regulate to enough rather than too much.
    You have the added concern of the recurring plugs, so removing mil more often probably makes sense for you, or certainly it did before. But as with anything else, this may change overtime and something else may work better then. Hopefully the lecithin and diet changes will help, and while you try that you can also experiment with lowering the frequency of milk removal if you like.

Bottom line, unless I am missing something, your baby is healthy and so are you. I think you are doing great.

As far as lack of knowledge, you know your body and your baby much better than anyone else. All the suggestions you get are by definition general in nature, and you know best how to take what works for you and leave the rest.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; August 9th, 2014 at 12:48 PM.

thanks lllmeg.. i always feel better after getting replies.