Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Engorgement and tongue tie

Default Engorgement and tongue tie

Hi, my second son is three days old and I had his tongue tie released yesterday. My milk also came in yesterday and I am very very engorged. I've been nursing as often as possible and he seems to want to nurse all night. Still my breasts are very full. Should I try pumping? Tried last night but it didn't work. I've been using cold compresses to help with the swelling. I'm also going to use cabbage leaves. Am very afraid of plugged ducts mastitis as I've struggled with sever oversupply with my first son. How long does this last? Thank you- exhausted and feeling overwhelmed.

Default Re: Engorgement and tongue tie

Hand expression can be helpful. Video here: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html

This ensures that you remove milk to be more comfortable, but not send strong "make more milk" signals to your body.

Massaging hard spots in your breast can be helpful in avoiding/correcting blockages. This can be helpful while you're nursing or in the shower or any time.

Some moms suffer from chronic oversupply. That sounds like it was the case with your first son. We can't tell if that's the case with this baby. Many of the recommendations for oversupply can be dangerous to try during the first few weeks while breastfeeding is getting established because they work too well and moms can end up with not enough milk.

Nursing as often as your baby wants for as long as he wants is the best way to tell your body how much milk to make (not too much, not too little). Avoiding pumping works for many moms so that they don't accidentally tell their body they are nursing twins

Since the frenectomy, how does nursing feel to you? Is baby able to extract milk well? Engorgement could indicate baby is still not transferring milk very well, which would not be unusual at this age even without the tongue tie. So getting help with latch may help.

You can try reverse pressure softening to help baby latch better while you are engorged. Info in article linked below.

When a mom is suffering from engorgement, what can happen is the breasts actually get congested. Like sinuses do when you have a cold. This can make it hard for milk to be removed effectively.

mama.mia has many excellent ideas for engorgement.

I agree that Right now, Getting milk out of the breasts as often as possible, and taking steps to reduce any inflammation, is key right now. Later on you can see if there is anything more you need do for oversupply.

If you can get your pump to work, and that works better for you than hand expression, I think pumping is ok in order to keep milk flowing from the breasts as much as possible. But do not over pump. Don't pump instead of frequent nursing, and Pump just enough to relieve the engorgement. And pump gently, for not too long, at as low a setting as works. One thing pumps do that nursing and hand expression do not is draw fluid into the areola, causing more issues.

I had terrible engorgement with my last baby and was so blocked I could not pump milk out even with a hospital grade pump. I set my phone alarm for every 2 hours and encouraged baby to nurse frequently even over-night.

Engorgement FAQ and RPS http://www.llli.org/faq/engorgement.html

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    When a mom is suffering from engorgement, what can happen is the breasts actually get congested. Like sinuses do when you have a cold. This can make it hard for milk to be removed effectively.
    I can't speak to over supply but I have experienced what seemed like "congestion" and acupuncture worked very well for me at relieving the congestion at least temporarily. I also felt AMAZING after the treatments!!!

If baby is still struggling with nursing even after the tongue tie release, definitely look for assistance since some babies need some oral motor therapy to strengthen and retrain muslces. I went to a speech pathologist with experience working with infants but many IBCLCs are also trained in some of that kind of physical therapy.