Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting water when starting solids

Default Starting water when starting solids

A few of the books I've read on starting solids mention that it's also a good time to start offering DB water, as it helps the kidneys in their new effort to process solids, and is generally a good life-long habit to start.

What are other people doing? Do you offer DB a small amount of water after eating, or are you sticking strictly with breastmilk as the only fluid?

Default Re: Starting water when starting solids

Water is a funny issue, I have heard that it is not good to give to babies too young bc there kidneys can not handle it and I have also heard that it is helpful for babies who are constipated? If you have waited the 6 months or so for solids, I would say that it is safe to offer some water to help wash down solids. My ds LOVES his sippy cup of water, we use the Playtex sipster. Now that we are having some weight gain issues I am not offering but an ounce or two at a time so that it does not replace any of his bm that he should be getting. Best of luck!

The majority of breastmilk is water, so as long as your baby is still getting most their nutrition from breastmilk then your baby should be adequately hydrated. It's hard to figure out sometimes whether the info in the books about solids is geared toward breastfed or formula fed babies, and there is a difference in the needs of both.

Babies about 6 months like to experiment so your baby may enjoy playing with a sippy cup of water. It takes a while for them to figure those things out sometimes!
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

We give 8 month old DD sips of water with her solids (I would say less that a half an ounce.) We introduced her to a cup around 6 months that had breastmilk in it. We use the Gerber spill proof straw cup and she has done beautifully with it. The water isn't as important to us as her just being able to handle a cup is. (She doesn't take bottles.) (Her being able to drink from a straw comes in handy when she needs entertained in a resturant...we just pinch our straws and she can sip from our cups -- water only of couse!)

HTH

It is only VERY young babies who can be harmed by water. At 6 months of age water is no longer harmful. Most babies that age won't drink enough to "replace" a significant amount of breastmilk.

When they start eating real solid food, not pureed foods, you can give water during the meal as they like. My daughter at around 8 months would point to her water glass when she wanted a drink and then point to her food when she wanted a bite.

What a clever girl to point, I am still trying to get ds to want to feed himself ( 9 1/2 months)