Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning From Nipple Shield

Default Weaning From Nipple Shield

My LO who is 5 1/2 weeks now was tongue tied which we discovered when he was 3 days old. I was having trouble getting him to nurse and the hospital's lactation consultant discovered he was tongue tied. She gave me a nipple shield to use until we could get his tongue clipped. Well, because of some difficulties with the Dr. he was 4 weeks old before we could get the procedure done. I've been trying to wean him from the shield and am making some progress but still having difficulties.

I feel like we are learning to breastfeed all over again now! At night I still only use the shield because it's just easier but during the day I breastfeed without it as much as possible. Usually when he wakes up in the morning he will nurse without the shield for a full 20-30 minutes (which is his usual nursing amount) but any other time during the day he only nurses for 5-10 minutes then pulls off and cries. Usually at that time I'd put on the shield and let him nurse the remaining time. The past 2 days though I think he's getting confused because he will nurse for the 5-10 minutes, cry, and then won't latch on to the breast OR the shield. I'll have to let him calm down for 15 minutes or so before he will nurse with either. If I let him feed with the nipple shield he doesn't do that, he'd nurse for a long time with that.

Any ideas why he's only eating for a few minutes then cries and won't latch on again? Is it because that's when let-down is happening and with the shield the suction is different and he's just not used to it?

He had been on a pretty good eating/waking/sleeping routine but now it's all gone hay-wire trying to wean him from the shield. Any help would be appreciated!

Default Re: Weaning From Nipple Shield

it sounds like you are making progress with getting baby off shield. This is a process and some 'backsliding' is pretty typical.

Before the clip, was nursing painful or weight gain slow? Have any issues improved?

Any ideas why he's only eating for a few minutes then cries and won't latch on again? Is it because that's when let-down is happening and with the shield the suction is different and he's just not used to it?
    yes this is possible. Your baby really is learning to nurse all over again, that is what happens after tt release. part of that is learning to handle different milk flow rates.

He had been on a pretty good eating/waking/sleeping routine but now it's all gone hay-wire trying to wean him from the shield. Any help would be appreciated!
    I would suggest, put all thoughts of routine out of your head. Even if breastfeeding was entirely problem free from the get-go, there is not typically a discernible pattern at this age, and if there is, it is usually very temporary.

Babies this age are trying to gain like mad with tiny tummies. So they are truly hungry and need to nurse when they need to nurse, and that is going to be really often. Babies tend to latch more readily and nurse better if they are relatively calm when they come to the breast. So offering to nurse at the earliest cues or even prior to any cues may help.

At night especially, can you get help with everything else so you can just nurse so you can sleep more?