Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore cracked nipples ... Help please !!!

Exclamation Sore cracked nipples ... Help please !!!

My LO is 7 months old. She had a nunny nose and congestion 2 weeks ago. During that time nursing her was difficult. She would pull at my nipple, extend her arms, come off and latch herself back on, but towards my nipple. I chalked it up to her congestion and the difficulty breathing/sucking. She would feed 5-6 times a day. During this period I developed sore, cracked nipples and blebs. It got to the point of them bleeding. It started with one breast so I switched her to the other, then that one had the same outcome. I went to pumping, which was less painful. However my supply was low from pumping and I am now supplementing with formula. How much is she supposed to take? When I did pump I only got 1-1.5oz out. Now I'm able to get 3-3.5oz which I feed her in a bottle. I don't have a stash so it's whenever I'm able to pump. I'm treating the cracks with lanolin cream. Could teething be a culprit? A couple of days ago my cracks healed so I brought her back to breast, but then she cut me open again. Feeling a bit lost and I don't want to stop breastfeeding her.

Default Re: Sore cracked nipples ... Help please !!!

This is a tough one. Teething would not typically cause this. teeth rubbing is a possibility I suppose. But that still comes down to latch usually.

I would suggest, think about nursing positioning. This often causes a painful latch in older baby if baby does not have 'room' to latch w/o tucking chin.
    Thrush?
    As far as how much baby needs, that will vary. I know that a younger exclusively nursing baby usually needs about 25-35 ounces per day. But this age is trickier as growth has slowed and of course some babies are being fed solids. However, the required amount would not be any more than that.
    When you say baby was nursing 5-6 times a day, do you mean when she was sick? That is a pretty low frequency. 8-10 times a day would be more in the average range for this age. I wonder if your milk production had been affected by infrequent nursing? Blebs would also be a possible result of not frequent enough nursing. Baby gain always good?

I think it's her positioning as well. I've tried different positions, used pillows, swaddling, going to a quite room, etc. She only fed 5-6 during the time she was sick, that's why I was supplementing because I knew that she wasn't nursing enough. My milk has also been affected, pumping is nearly impossible now, hand expression is working, but I am barely making 2oz at each session. Am I supposed to give her the same amount of formula as I would give her when I sent the breastmilk to her at daycare (4oz)? I'm asking again because she's congested again and the cracks are back now. I am also back to work so finding time to pump has been difficult.

Are you treating the cracks with anything? Lanolin based cream that you leave on are supposed to help and I had a friend swear by 'breast angels' - silver cup things to help hers heal.

Try to widen her latch maybe? She may have got lazy with it over time or needs to adjust due to teeth etc.

Yes I've been using two different brands of lanolin and they were well for me, but she does get lazy or choose to clamp and go towards the nipple; I her re-adjust often.

Here are a few resources you might review

A latch video: http://www.ameda.com/breastfeeding/p...ow-to-latch-on
    Thrush: http://www.llli.org/faq/thrush.html

As far as how much milk to send at daycare, you can see this link which focuses on babies 6 months and less: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

For older babies that get more of their calories from solid foods, they may need less breastmilk when they are away from mom.