Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Prefers to Nurse At Home

Default Baby Prefers to Nurse At Home

My little girl is five months old, and has been gaining weight well and steadily, staying in the 50-60th percentiles. We had some minor issues at first, but with an attention to a getting good latch, all has been going mostly smoothly. One of the issues we used to have was a bit of over supply, which nursing side lying really helped, allowing her to pop off or dribble as she needed. This also greatly helped a tired new mama out!, laying down. However, we've gotten ourselves into this habit, and now babe really only likes to nurse at home in bed. Which is fine when we're home, but not workable when we aren't. I'm hoping there may be some suggestions on how to work on this?

When I try to hold her cradle-ish, she just isn't having it, and squirms away or tries to do a back flip. She doesn't have the motor skills yet to kind of sit/cling on all by herself so can't choose her own position.

I will say that if we're out and she's hungry or needing comfort, she 'll usually latch for a few sucks but then pops off and won't pop back on. And usually it won't cure the fussiness. But she'll keep doing cues like she wants to nurse, getting mildly fussy or squirmy, which typically can only be solved by eventually getting home, and going to lay down.

I'd love for us to get better about nursing in public. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

(Probably not relevant but just in case- she typically has about 1 dirty diaper a day. When at home, we nurse about every 1 hour to 2 hours; she sleeps in a crib next to the bed and wakes 1-3 times a night. When out and about we use the Ergo or bare arms.)

Thank you!

Default Re: Baby Prefers to Nurse At Home

Have you tried nursing in the carrier instead of cradle?

As to choosing own position, have you ever tried simply leaning back a little from a sitting position and letting her sit kinda diagonal on you but mostly upright? Then she doesn't really have to "cling on" since gravity will help hold her in place, she just has to have control of her head while you can give her upper body some support so she doesn't fall sideways off you.

As said above, try nursing in a 'laid back' position or maybe rugby/football hold?

My daughter is reluctant to feed properly in a sling but if you can suss feeding in a carrier that would be awesome.

I do think babies get better with age too. My daughter would only ever feed in a cradle hold until a while after latching issues were sorted... They were sorted 4 months ago now and for the last month she seems to find it great fun yo try and latch in as many different ways as possible! (She's just turned 8 months)

And my 9.5 month old will only nurse from one position - a modified cradle hold. Any other position and he pops off and looks around everywhere. He's already standing and everything, but he'll never sit to nurse or do any of those creative positions they show in pictures.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.
    My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*erin.in.middletown View Post
    One of the issues we used to have was a bit of over supply, which nursing side lying really helped, allowing her to pop off or dribble as she needed. This also greatly helped a tired new mama out!, laying down. However, we've gotten ourselves into this habit, and now babe really only likes to nurse at home in bed.
    This was totally my daughter and I (now 20 months old) until she was about 7 or 8 months old, even 9 months old! She would only nurse lying down.

The only thing that I can suggest is to never stop offering when you are out. She may not take it, but at least you tried. In a few months she might surprise you and nurse in public. My daughter was maybe 7 months old and we were at a friend's house one day and I decided to try feeding her just sitting on the grass and it worked, but I think she was very hungry at that point. I did try to lay down with her in various public places but she always preferred to just wait for our bed at home.

She eventually grew out of the side lying only phase but it took a long time. I would sit in a comfy chair with her and sing and tell stories to her while trying to work on feeding her sitting up and after a few months of trying she accepted it. My guess is once your baby can really handle the flow of your milk when you are sitting upright that she will come around if you keep at it.
    and Mama to two little girls

Thank you, all!

We are doing well. Since last posting, we've been to a few LLLI meetings, and another breastfeeding support group as well. I thought they would be a good place to practice NIP. They certainly would be- my babe just prefers to smile and stare at all the other babies and moms! Maybe some time soon. Little one is gaining weight well, and happy as a clam!

Again, I really appreciate your insight and support. It can be so helpful to hear "that was us too!" or "this too shall pass" or "this is normal at this stage"! Thank you!