Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which is more important...

Default Re: which is more important...

Right, if milk production is the problem (and not just let down) and all other options have been tried, then trying to get a script for Domperidone may be worth a try.

I'm on domperidone currently. I've had a rough road to milk production due to a 10 week early birth, c-section, late start to pumping (over 24 hours after delivery because of meds for preeclampsia), hormonal issues, etc… My prolactin fell back to baseline after delivery. After 7 weeks or so of less than 15 ml production total, I began taking domperidone and have since been getting a few ml more every day. I'm now up to around 11 oz. I'm sure the low production affects my let down, but I think I have an additional problem beyond that with oxytocin. I'm trying to increase my production as much as possible to counteract that a bit, but it's difficult when it takes so long to empty my breasts. I'm open to any suggestions.

Do you already use warm packs before or with pumping?

Well if all other medical things have been checked like thyroid etc, then it might be worth it for you to look into Acupuncture. I can't say that it increased my production more than marginally but I must say that after the two treatments I had I felt REALLY good and it did seem to really help my flow/let down at least temporarily (for a few days at least.) The Dr that did the acupuncture also recommended that I make home made bone broth from either beef or chicken and consume that or make soup to eat from that. Also she told me to only consume room temperature or warmer beverages and foods since cold stagnates. Especially in the morning. If a cold beverage must be consumed, follow it up with a HOT drink or Hot broth. Heating pad across back (kidneys) was also recommended to me.

Again, I can't say that the acupuncture had a major impact on my supply but I do believe it did help some and it helped my flow more than I would have expected given that my supply has only increased marginally.

My co-Leader who is also an IBCLC suggests this free app for relaxation when pumping : https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...432087823?mt=2

Fennel is an herb suggested specifically for slow letdown. Sorry I do not know more about it.

I just bought the lansinoh pads to use on my breasts before/during pumping. We'll see how that goes. I'll look into acupuncture. I haven't done it since the birth, maybe there's something there.

Thanks for the recommendation for the app, I will definitely try that. I am currently taking fennel, it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference, unfortunately.

Back to my original question, briefly. Maybe I should alternate the way I pump, pump more frequently, but only empty my breasts completely every other time? That way I can sneak in a few extra pumps. I don't know…what do you all think?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beelzebubble View Post
    Back to my original question, briefly. Maybe I should alternate the way I pump, pump more frequently, but only empty my breasts completely every other time? That way I can sneak in a few extra pumps. I don't know…what do you all think?
    Worth a try, you could see if it seems to make a difference over a few days.

I can't say that my supply has dramatically increased but I have been able to start up a stash slowly.

I started EP about a month ago and my supply got really low. (You probably would see the desperation on my previous posts). I have tried fenugreek, oatmeal, lots of water, massage and increasing my number of pumps. I didn't quite have a slow let down but from my experience, the frequency of pumping became more important because the breasts get used to being drained at such and such times. You then focus on getting it empty as much as you can while you pump, massaging really does make a big difference, and wait it out. Like I said, I've been doing it for a month.

Maybe I should alternate the way I pump, pump more frequently, but only empty my breasts completely every other time? That way I can sneak in a few extra pumps. I don't know…what do you all think?
    I think finding a pumping routine or method that works well for you is the key to getting in those pump sessions without going bonkers. If this is a more sustainable method for you than what you were doing before, and it increases pump session frequency, then I think it is a great idea. I certainly see no downside to it.