Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low magnesium

Default Low magnesium

Hello,

I am breastfeeding my 23 months old on demand, about 6-8 times a day (within 24 h). For quite a long time I was suffering total exhaustion, until lately I got cramps in my left chest, so strong that I thought it is my heart. An inner knowing told me that I need Magnesium. I began taking homeopathic globulis, which improved the situation for a couple of days, but only from one to the next dose. Yesterday, I finally got magnesium to drink (powder to dilute) with 310 mg each package. I was told I could drink one a day while breastfeeding. I took one last night, and about 12 hours later another. I makes the cramps disappear and lets me feel stronger and more relaxed overall. Despite this fact, right now, just about 7 hours later I feel I would like to take another dose of magnesium. So here I am asking if anyone of you could give me a clue how much magnesium a day I could take while breastfeeding in order to restore the necessary amount of magnesium in my body (if that is stored)? Of course, without harming my little jewel of a son

I would very much appreciate a quick reply. I am currently abroad, so where I am for the next couple of months I don't have a physician I could ask in the languages I speak.

Big hugs out to all of you awesome bf mamas!

a colorful dot

Default Re: Low magnesium

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*acolorfuldot View Post
    Hello,

I am breastfeeding my 23 months old on demand, about 6-8 times a day (within 24 h). For quite a long time I was suffering total exhaustion, until lately I got cramps in my left chest, so strong that I thought it is my heart. An inner knowing told me that I need Magnesium. I began taking homeopathic globulis, which improved the situation for a couple of days, but only from one to the next dose. Yesterday, I finally got magnesium to drink (powder to dilute) with 310 mg each package. I was told I could drink one a day while breastfeeding. I took one last night, and about 12 hours later another. I makes the cramps disappear and lets me feel stronger and more relaxed overall. Despite this fact, right now, just about 7 hours later I feel I would like to take another dose of magnesium. So here I am asking if anyone of you could give me a clue how much magnesium a day I could take while breastfeeding in order to restore the necessary amount of magnesium in my body (if that is stored)? Of course, without harming my little jewel of a son

I would very much appreciate a quick reply. I am currently abroad, so where I am for the next couple of months I don't have a physician I could ask in the languages I speak.

Big hugs out to all of you awesome bf mamas!

a colorful dot
    I would say call Infant Risk, can be reached at (806) 352-2519.
    With Magnesium there is actually a balance between magnesium and calcium so the answer might not be simply taking more and more of one thing but trying to take in the right balance. Another method to help with magnesium might be to soak in it, as in take an epsome salts bath with might actually be very effective for helping with things like leg cramps. But also, what about potassium? Low potassium levels can also cause cramps as can mild dehydration or even a general electrolyte imbalance.

Are you traveling somewhere that you have been afraid to drink enough water? Drinking too much water? (sometimes if you are sweating a lot and consuming copious amounts of plain water you just need to have a bit of salt or drink a gator aid.)

It is good to follow your instincts but it might be good to consult with a medical professional before going too far overboard with any one single thing. Sometimes dealing with exhaustion and cramps could be as simple as making a few minor changes daily but what you change will depend on your particular situation and symptoms.

Have you been taking prenatal vitamins all along on no?

http://drsircus.com/medicine/magnesi...-magnesium-oil
    http://empoweredsustenance.com/himalayan-salt-benefits/
    I agree with the advice to call infant risk. I'm not sure what levels of oral magnesium are safe. I use Epsom salts and magnesium chloride applied externally to supplement my family. I use 4-6 sprays of the oil as a deodorant daily and another spray or two if I feel my energy draining late in the day.
    We also drink sole which is a salt water solution. The recipe and benefits are in the second link. I definitely notice a difference in my energy when I take it first thing in the morning.

I take blackstrap molasses as a magnesium/calcium/iron supplement, and it has always worked well for me. I think the calcium/magnesium ratio is ideal for best absorption, too. Once you get used to the taste it's not so bad. I'd say I do about 2 tbsp per day when I take it. The Brer Rabbit brand has 25% RDI for magnesium in 1 TBSP. http://www.toxinless.com/blackstrap-molasses
    Last edited by @llli*karrieperry; July 31st, 2014 at 05:42 PM.
    and Mama to two little girls

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*karrieperry View Post
    Once you get used to the taste it's not so bad. http://www.toxinless.com/blackstrap-molasses
    mmmm... I love black strap molasses! I never knew it was healthy too lol. I mix 2 tbsp molasses, 1 tbsp honey mustard (or mild mustard), 1 tbsp worchesterchire sauce, 1 tbsp soy sauce together and put it on a burger along with carmelized onions and fried mushrooms and gouda cheese on top... You might have to adjust the amounts - I never measure just go by taste.

Molasses can be used to sweeten granola too. Could probably also be used on your oatmeal.
    Blackstrap will of course be less sweet but higher in minerals.