Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: fast let down or too much production???

Default fast let down or too much production???

My 2 week old son is choking at the breast and getting frustrated. I cannot figure out if my issue is too much milk or from a really fast let down? How do I know the difference and how can I solve this issue so he can nurse comfortably?
    Thank you in advance.

Default Re: fast let down or too much production???

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*breastfeedingmommyof2 View Post
    My 2 week old son is choking at the breast and getting frustrated. I cannot figure out if my issue is too much milk or from a really fast let down? How do I know the difference and how can I solve this issue so he can nurse comfortably?
    Thank you in advance.
    Is nursing comfortable?
    How is his weight gain?
    Has he been checked for tongue or lip ties?
    Do you feel like you have too much production, if so what makes you feel that way?
    Or do you feel like when you let down milk is just spraying or gushing out really fast? Like if you unlatch him when he starts choking, is your milk spraying all over the place?

Occasionally newborns choke at the breast even with normal let down, they are still learning how to nurse.
    Babies with some oral deformity or tongue tie can have trouble protecting their airway even with normal flow and can sometimes cough and choke on even a slight flow.

The most common recommendation for fast let down is to lean back a bit when nursing so baby has a bit more control over the flow. Nurse VERY often since frequency can help with regulating both OALD and over production as well as low supply. Seems nursing frequently is the best first answer to most problems.
    With OALD I hear it often recommended to unlatch baby and let the spray go into a towel or burp rag until it slows enough for baby to handle it.

Good questions and suggestions from the PP.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Occasionally newborns choke at the breast even with normal let down, they are still learning how to nurse.
    YES. Also, some "over" production is entirely normal in the early weeks and calms down all on it's own. Also, some moms make more milk than others and it is neither a problem for mom or baby.

To add to tclynx's great questions and suggestions, A way to tell if the issue is overproduction that is a PROBLEM is how it is affecting mom. Are you frequently engorged or uncomfortably full despite baby nursing very often? Breasts not softening after nursing? Getting any plugs?
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; August 2nd, 2014 at 08:59 AM.

[QUOTE=@llli*tclynx;1340302]Is nursing comfortable?
    How is his weight gain?
    Has he been checked for tongue or lip ties?
    Do you feel like you have too much production, if so what makes you feel that way?
    Or do you feel like when you let down milk is just spraying or gushing out really fast? Like if you unlatch him when he starts choking, is your milk spraying all over the place?

yes
    not since this has been happenning
    im not sure. he drinks 3 oz every 3hrs and when i pump i make 5 to 6 oz every 3 hrs
    it only sprays when i unlatch him and squeeze my nipple to try to get some of the fast flowing milk out for him

he unlatches often and cries
    i have also been leaning back and catching the milk and he is still choking and unlatching and crying a lot

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    YES. Also, some "over" production is entirely normal in the early weeks and calms down all on it's own. Also, some moms make more milk than others and it is neither a problem for mom or baby.

To add to tclynx's great questions and suggestions, A way to tell if the issue is overproduction that is a PROBLEM is how it is affecting mom. Are you frequently engorged or uncomfortably full despite baby nursing very often? Breasts not softening after nursing? Getting any plugs?
    I am not frequently engorged or uncomfortably full. I have had a few plugs here and there and just pumped for a few minutes after he nursed and they went away. My breasts do soften after nursing. So maybe it's not overproduction then?

It might be worth getting him checked for tongue tie or to see if his suck is well organized or if there is any weakness there but it doesn't sound as though you have that extreme a let down. But it could simply be that he is still really young.
    May still be worth a visit to an IBCLC for some hands on assistance and help assessing if the problem is with a strong let down or if he needs some therapy to help deal with the normal flow and swallowing while breathing.