Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Figuring out weaning, even though I don't really want too

Default Figuring out weaning, even though I don't really want too

My daughter will be turning 1 on September 6. We have had ups and downs in breastfeeding, and I have ended up BF her exclusively and enjoying it way more with her than my first. I am more emotionally attached to it this time. I am a teacher and have had the summer off so feeding has been easy. I go back to work in 2 weeks and my plan is to not pump anymore. I really want to have the flexibility at work during the day to be more productive and have the ability to leave my classroom! But, I am also worried that with cutting out those feedings my supply will go down enough to make my daughter not want to nurse (she's pretty fussy when supply is low) and it makes me sad to think that BF may be ending soon. I know women have success with nursing in morning/evening/night while working, but I just worry it won't work for me. I have considered continuing to pump, but I just really don't want to anymore. I guess I'm just looking for encouragement in this situation.

Also, I may have started weaning the feedings a little late (I just started this week) before returning to work, but I just wasn't ready, I'm not ready, really! She has taken a bottle for one feeding two days in a row, which is good. I would miss about 3 nursing times during the day with her, so I thought replacing one time with a bottle each week would be enough time to adjust. I guess it's a little late now to change anything if not, but does this sound like it would work? I have kind of been in denial about returning to work and choosing to do this.

This has not been as articulate as I wanted it to be, so I hope it makes sense to someone It's hard to figure out logistically what to do because I just nurse her on demand, and it's hard emotionally because I don't want this phase to end quite yet. Thanks for listening

Default Re: Figuring out weaning, even though I don't really want to

What are you going to put in the bottles if you are not pumping?
    How is she with solids?

Aw, don't worry mama! A lot of moms pump wean at a year and their babies go on to nurse for a really long time afterwards. Just stay available to her when you're not at work- she'll probably treasure the chance to reconnect by nursing.

2 weeks is a very reasonable amount of time in which to drop 3 nursing sessions, and your plan is definitely workable. But I don't think you have to wean proactively. Instead, I think that you could continue to nurse as usual, and just take your pump with you when you go back to school and pump to restore comfort if and when you feel like you need to.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have breastmilk stored in the freezer from during the school year, so that's what's in the bottles right now. I think it could last through her birthday. But, I'm ok with her getting some formula if it runs out. She's very interested in solid foods now, and is learning how to pick up small bits and feed herself more and more everyday. I feed her a little pureed food, but she's really doing most of it herself.

I didn't think about not having to wean proactively---I am going to consider that. The other part I left out of my post is that my "good" pump died---I had to make it last through the last week of school, which it did, but now it's done. I have another one that doesn't work well for me, but can be used in a pinch, and a single hand manual pump I got at the hospital, so I think those could be used if I need to relieve some discomfort.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*melaniejoy View Post
    I have breastmilk stored in the freezer from during the school year, so that's what's in the bottles right now. I think it could last through her birthday. But, I'm ok with her getting some formula if it runs out. She's very interested in solid foods now, and is learning how to pick up small bits and feed herself more and more everyday. I feed her a little pureed food, but she's really doing most of it herself.

I didn't think about not having to wean proactively---I am going to consider that. The other part I left out of my post is that my "good" pump died---I had to make it last through the last week of school, which it did, but now it's done. I have another one that doesn't work well for me, but can be used in a pinch, and a single hand manual pump I got at the hospital, so I think those could be used if I need to relieve some discomfort.
    Yep I think Mommal's suggestion would definitely be worth it then. Take the less than great pump or the hand pump to use during your first few weeks back just as needed to avoid engorgement/discomfort. You may have to plan on pumping a bit say during lunch the first few weeks until you can wean off the pumping. That way you can still nurse when together since you really don't want to wean, you just want wean yourself off the pump.

On thing I have learned as a mom is that there are many ways to skin a cat. And it is fine & sometimes necessary to change horses midstream. And that is two things I guess!

IN other words, you have a whole host of options for handling a given situation and if one path is leading you somewhere you do not want to go (or do not want to go yet) you can change course.

Some options I can think of for mom who is back at work, baby is a year, and mom wishes to no longer pump but continue to nurse her child are:
    Consider having child get more food at daycare and less (or no) milk
    Bottles? Are they needed for a 12 month old? Sometimes bottle use past a certain age creates expectations about nutritional intake that are misleading. Many children are no longer using or needing bottles by this age, even children who are weaned from breastfeeding or never breastfed. Also, because normal growth rate is slowing rapidly at around this age, there is often a drop off in appetite at this age. I am not saying bottles are harmful, some kids find the bottle comforting. It just helps to be aware of expectations.

If you want to keep milk production in good shape without pumping, you might want to avoid OVER filling baby up with breastmilk or other liquids via bottle. So, (Assuming no issues with healthy weight gain) What about open or sippy cups for water or breastmilk?
    Encouraging MORE nursing while home/nights/days off
    Learn hand expression for emergencies or simply to remove milk during easily and quickly during the day if you wish to help production or are uncomfortable. Just a little milk extracted quickly can help keep breasts from becoming overfull.
    Go back to pumping on occasion/as needed if milk production is being too much harmed by not pumping, which (if needed, it may not be) would help if done even with a not fantastic pump. DO make sure any pumping is not hurting you though.

Thanks moms. All of your input has helped me. My first day back yesterday went OK, but it was too long to not nurse or pump, so I'm thinking I may still want to pump at lunch for a little bit. I'll just evaluate how it's going each day, and see what the best course will be from there.

I was home with my son for 14 months. And we nursed on demand. I went back to work full time at that point and all of a sudden was away from him for 9-10hours a day. I never pumped. He ate solids and drank water while away from me. And we continued to nurse on demand while together. For over 3 more years. If you make it the year point you don't really have to worry about supply because your supply is established. My breasts were heavy and at times at times but never because actively engorged and on my days off my child still fed on demand with no problems. I wouldn't work to actively wean. I would keep doing what you are doing while together and then when you start school, maybe take a hand pump to deal with engorgement if you have any. Which you may not.

Way too lazy for formula