Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeling nervous! Give up?

Default Feeling nervous! Give up?

Ok so I had my third daughter on July 27. In the hospital she had one big bowel movement the first day which was meconium, on the second day had a big BM which the pediatrician called a transition BM. We got home on the 29 and she had one large BM that night, on the 30th she had large one in the morning. Here's where I get concerned. On July 31, Aug 1 an so far today no BM, but wet diapers everyday. My milk just came in yesterday I believe. She has had no pacifier, no formula. When she was born she was 6lb&10oz. Upon discharge she was 6lb&4oz. The next day at her Dr Apt she was 6lb even and we haven't been back and won't until the 6th I think. Im getting really nervous that she hasn't pooped as I've searched and everything says 2-3 BM a day for her age. I have no way to weigh her but planned on going to WIC for a weight Monday when they open. She nurses all the time, and always seems satisfied. I have seen milk around her mouth and even expressed some just to see if it was there. She burps after feedings but sometimes draws her legs to her stomach forcefully and squeezes my nipple with her gums kinda hard. She has had the hiccups a few times, thatmeans growth right? I am very scared im starving her. I supplement my older two daughters for when they were babies but that was 5 years ago and im older and more determined now to BF. I got implants two years ago thinking I was finished having kids FYI. but it hasn't affected my milk cause I can express some like I used to. Please help I dont know what to do unitl Monday. I dont want to introduce formula as I feel it ruined my last two breast feeding experiences with my older daughters. Will it be ok until weight check monday?

Default Re: Feeling nervous! Give up?

Sorry, no one caught your post and now it is Monday. Have you gone for the weight check? Any more poops? What is happening now?

poops do not tell the whole story, but they are reassuring about intake when they happen.
    if your WIC offers breastfeeding support and/or appts with lactation consultants (as they should) then, take advantage. If they don;/t find out where you can get help (if needed)

certainly do not give up, if by that you mean, stop nursing. Baby is barely a week old. Even if supplements are needed, you can still breastfeed while figuring out what is going on.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; August 4th, 2014 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    if your WIC offers breastfeeding support and/or appts with lactation consultants (as they should) then, take advantage. If they don;/t find out where you can get help (if needed)

certainly do not give up, if by that you mean, stop nursing. Baby is barely a week old. Even if supplements are needed, you can still breastfeed while figuring out what is going on.

Don't give up! It takes time for things to settle in. Hopefully the weight check showed she has started to re-gain some weight now that your milk has come in.

You say she nurses frequently, how many times in a 24 hour period? Remember that you are allowed to offer even before she cues to feed if she is an undemanding baby.

And definitely ask for breastfeeding help from the WIC office, if your office doesn't have an LC, see if you can go to another office in your county if they have one, some WIC offices even have IBCLCs.

My LO is 2 1/2 months old now. She didn't poop well until two weeks ago! Prior to that it was sporatic and just little bits. I talked to our Pediatrician and he wasn't concerned at all. Said she's having plenty of wets and that her bowels will start when they are ready. Hang in there and keep trying! You got this!