Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do I breastfeed my baby with Reflux?

Default Re: How do I breastfeed my baby with Reflux?

Tongue tie (and lip tie) are a possible cause of reflux symptoms, breastfeeding issues, poor milk intake, slow weight gain, as well as bottle feeding and eating issues.

Having my daughters TT divided was the only way she could feed... It was posterior and drastically affected her ability to feed; despite a Paed telling me it wasn't affecting her. It was over in less than 2 minutes and she was more distressed waiting for a bottle then she was during the procedure. Ours was divided by scissors.

The going rate for an IBCLC is around £30-£50 but I would just ring and ask her fees.

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...h-Peanuts-Egg)
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...72197243,d.aWw
    http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/reflux/
    The first link is just some of the common names and foods dairy hides in and under. It's likely you consume far more dairy than you realize and some children are remarkably sensitive to it. Just one bite of a cake containing one tablespoon of butter flared my youngest's reflux measurably. Cutting dairy out completely made a huge difference with his reflux. It's worth a shot for you to try. If after two weeks you've seen no improvement, then go back to an unrestricted diet. Some babies react to The similar soy protein as well as with dairy so check if that's hiding in any food you eat as well.
    The second is a download from Dr Kotlow, an expert in tongue and lip ties, and relates to the effect of tt in reflux cases.
    The third is the link from Kelly mom regarding reflux. It's a very thorough resource that helped me tremendously with my lo.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

I rang the health visitor this morning to see if there was anything that can be done. They are aliment it cant be a tongue tie issue due to her being 5 months and the fact that she has previously fed. She's sending a nursery nurse round at some point to talk through the issues and offer suggestions. Feel so frustrated with it all, especially having a hungry baby that wont feed. Apparently feeding little and often is the answer from them, which doesn't help me or my baby when she wont feed at all.

I am going to try the IBCLC, but looks like that is all I can do.
    Last edited by @llli*xjemmaxlouisex; August 4th, 2014 at 02:39 PM.

Good luck with the IBCLC, mine was amazing and totally rescued my bf relationship!

Tt can be done at 5 months but it does require an ENT referral at 5 months... This is possible but you would need a sympathetic GP to refer you or again go private. (Not easy I know )

I know of newborns having it done privately but not a 5 month old so I don't know if that would be easy. That said as she has nursed around it it may be that there are techniques that continue to help her do this.

Let us know how you get on

Tried calling the LBCLC today but just went to voicemail . I did leave a message but no call back as of yet. I will try again tomorrow, hopefully if I do get an appointment it can rescue mine.

I never thought of the GP, I know that sounds daft. My GP has been awful in the past, terrible at prescribing stuff (inappropriate things for her age or things she shouldn't or could have) he is pretty good however if I know what I need as he normally just prescribes it or does it. I'm going to make an appointment tomorrow to see if I can get some kind of referral. Even if I could get some techniques to help, it would be better than nothing.

Thanks, this little forum is giving me sanity to be able to talk it all through.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bsua65 View Post
    Good luck with the IBCLC, mine was amazing and totally rescued my bf relationship!

Tt can be done at 5 months but it does require an ENT referral at 5 months... This is possible but you would need a sympathetic GP to refer you or again go private. (Not easy I know )

I know of newborns having it done privately but not a 5 month old so I don't know if that would be easy. That said as she has nursed around it it may be that there are techniques that continue to help her do this.

Let us know how you get on
    I don't know if a pediatric dentist that does them regularly will do older babies, you would have to ask around. I've heard one place would do it in office up till 4 months but after that they would require anesthesia.
    When I had ours done the lip and tongue tie was like $650 and included up to two follow up visits (dentist did it with lazer). We paid out of pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tclynx View Post
    I don't know if a pediatric dentist that does them regularly will do older babies, you would have to ask around. I've heard one place would do it in office up till 4 months but after that they would require anesthesia.
    When I had ours done the lip and tongue tie was like $650 and included up to two follow up visits (dentist did it with lazer). We paid out of pocket.
    Not sure there is such a thing as a Paed dentist in the UK... But it would be worth googling!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bsua65 View Post
    Not sure there is such a thing as a Paed dentist in the UK... But it would be worth googling!
    Well it doesn't necessarily have to be a Paed Dentist, however it does need to be a dentist that does tongue and lip tie procedures and is willing to see infants. They are actually hard to find over here too. I actually had to drive over two hours to see the Dr Sierra. I think there is a Dental Surgeon closer to me that would do it but I couldn't get an appointment to see him for months by which time they would have insisted on anesthesia.

Check here for listings
    http://www.lowmilksupply.org/frenotomy.shtml#England
    Oh it actually looks like there are some IBCLCs that will do it there, not sure how they feel about doing a 5 month old though.

Now I know there are Pediatricians that actually will snip them right in office but trying to find them seems to be getting harder.

Anterior tongue ties are usually pretty easy. Posterior tongue ties since they are not always obvious, many doctors won't do them.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tclynx View Post
    Well it doesn't necessarily have to be a Paed Dentist, however it does need to be a dentist that does tongue and lip tie procedures and is willing to see infants. They are actually hard to find over here too. I actually had to drive over two hours to see the Dr Sierra. I think there is a Dental Surgeon closer to me that would do it but I couldn't get an appointment to see him for months by which time they would have insisted on anesthesia.

Check here for listings
    http://www.lowmilksupply.org/frenotomy.shtml#England
    Oh it actually looks like there are some IBCLCs that will do it there, not sure how they feel about doing a 5 month old though.

Now I know there are Pediatricians that actually will snip them right in office but trying to find them seems to be getting harder.

Anterior tongue ties are usually pretty easy. Posterior tongue ties since they are not always obvious, many doctors won't do them.
    Thanks for the link but they are no where near my neck of the woods. I don't drive either so not accessible for me.